Recommended way to lift Lazer

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BigDave, Apr 17, 2003.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Exmark,

What is the recommended way to lift a Lazer HP with a floor jack in order to change the blades?

I assume you put the jack under the front crossbar, lift, then reinforce with jack stands. But, I figure the unit will have the tendency then to roll backwards. Is it safe enough just to engage the parking brake to prevent this?

Thanks as always,

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey BigDave,

There's really no "standard" way of lifting the front of your LHP with a floorjack. However you do it, you just want to make sure that you don't damage anything. You could lift it up by putting the jack under the front crossbar, but that may not get it up too high. If you want to raise it up a little higher, you could put the jack just under the front lip of the deck. Make sure that you aren't on the flow control baffle that is just a little farther in from the front lip of the deck. Look under the deck, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Go slow and watch as you raise it up. Use your head, and you'll be just fine.

DO NOT rely on the park brake to keep the mower from moving. Over time, the brake can get out of adjustment, which could cause the mower to move around, even when it is engaged. Always block the back wheels to make sure it won't move. Remember. . .Safety First! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Best, safest way would be to drive up the side of your trailer ramp. Always engage parking brake and always chock rear wheels.

Other method is similar. Use a car ramp. Just one. Drive up it with one caster tire.

Both methods allow access to at least two spindles, and if your good, sometimes all three!

Other method I use is a ceiling mounted 1 1/2 ton racheting chain hoist. I hook and sling a small length of chain between the front anti-scalp brackets and then hook the hoist hook in the center. Can lift it till it rests back on the rear mule drive supports (full size Lazer).

Good Luck, and be safe!

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Just drive your lazer up your trailer gate such that only one front wheel is on it, with the other one hanging over the side. Drive until the rear wheel comes in contact with the end of the gate. Both rear wheels should stay on the ground. You can access the deck very easily this way. I have done this many times with out any problems, and if you think that the lazer is going to tip, it won't. All of the weight is at the rear of the machine, which is securly on the ground. I have stood on the over hanging wheel and it has not tipped, just to check the stability. Floor jacks present too much risk as they can tip, or damage the underside of your deck. With this method you do not even need a jack, and you can access the underside of your deck in the field.

5. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have the same concern . Just purchased Lazer w. 28 efi &
    when i changed blades first time had trouble figuring how to raise mower. I do not see any stops on top of deck to keep deck from going too high. On my toro z-master stops were on top of deck. I guess my question is can i jack up front of mower by placing floor jack under front of deck.It seems to go high enough to raise floor panel slighty. Sure miss toro z-stand
    Thanks Dick

6. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I used to drive up on trailer ramp to work under deck but since i got an enclosed trailer the cable for ramp door lift wont let you drive up far enough to do it. I dont like to use floor jack but it seems that is my only option. car ramp doesent seem high enough. Ireally miss my z-stand on my toro. I guess i will make a
    hook to go under front of deck if exmark says its ok to raise mower by deck.
    Thanks Dick

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

JUNGLE JACK!!!

8. Pat Daniels

Pat Daniels LawnSite Member

Bring my Lazer Z on a set of ramps. Jack it up about 6 more inches (using the deck) with a floor jack to get an impact wrench (good investment) underneath. Lay a set of blocks under the front caster tires for safety purposes and change.

9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with John the jungle jack works great well worth the money fast and easy

10. wwjam

wwjam LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Is it ok to raise the rear end by the placing a 2x4 under the two flat metal braces that the mule belt pulleys attach to and then place a floor jack uder the 2x4? The 2x4 is reinforced with steel shims, but I was wondering if the flat metal braces on the Z would bend.

When I did this everything seemd ok. No visible bending or damage.

It's a quick way to raise both tires to change them or adjust the drive actuator levers.