Recommends for Lawn Tractor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by A1 Grass, Apr 28, 2010.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a dependable, used lawn tractor for use in the country. Property is mostly sand, but has plenty of weeds that need mowing. Riding mowers with smaller tires wash out and get stuck in the sand, so a lawn tractor with bigger front tires is a must.

Need recommendations on a good solid brand that I can get used for $500-600. +/- 20hp with about a 42" cut. It's for home use and I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking for advice on "why I should spend $1500 on a..."

Just need to know which brands are reliable and which suck...

THANKS

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but "good solid brand" and "$4-500" do not belong in the same sentence unless you're lucky enough to run into someone who is moving, needs the cash, etc. Most of the time you find that combination, you're going to have some repair work to do and you should be prepared to look at a repair bill that you could easily double your cost unless you're able to do the work yourself. Your mileage may vary.

3. A1 Grass

I'm just looking for the brand names that are known to be dependable.

If it makes it easier, just forget I named a price range.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would get a Poulan or an MTD. They make superb machines.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG] .

6. A1 Grass

Never mind - I got it under control...

[​IMG]

7. Lawn N Order

Lawn N Order LawnSite Member

I hope that picture is a joke.

8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering why some one in the lawn care business would be looking for a cheap lawn tractor (of all things). That picture pretty much gives me my answer. You've got to be kidding. What's going to keep that mower on the ground over rough terrain?