Reconcidering Great Dane

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I once used a demo Super Surfer and well to say I hated it would be nice and I swore id never try a Great Dane again.

How ever seeing your folding deck gateway walk behind has me drooling I believe this spring I will be hitting one of the only 3 dealers in my state and checking out that machine. It Looks like you out did your self’s with that. And if it’s as good as it looks I believe I may add that to my fleet not sure if I can get use to the color but versatility does go a long way. And I cannot justify buying a 36-inch mower for a half a dozen gates. Ill be looking into the mower soon and who knows you may have a convert.

2. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Kelly's Landscaping,

I am glad that you are reconsidering a Great Dane product. I am sorry that you did not like the Super Surfer. I am curious to what it was that you didn't like and how long ago you tried the product.

Thanks,

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

It had two tendencies that were really bad one it would undulate wildly over relatively small bumps at speed that other mowers we had on the lawn never had issues with. So much so we found it very unsafe the size which was the mowers selling point, was also its biggest negative the wheelbase was to short. The other thing was the controls nothing was there to hold on to the controls could steer but you couldn’t shall we say hold a grown man in place with them. That having been said when ever you made a zero turn at any speed over a crawl you would feel the weight of your body being thrown off as the centrifugal force was very intense but unlike a seat that would allow you to just press harder behind you there is air and well I found being near thrown off multiple times more then I could accept. I think the mower has very poor handling ability’s on hilly and rocky terrain the trouble is in New England that’s all we have.

4. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Kelly's Landscape,

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry that you did not like the unit. In our time studies that have been run the minimum time savings to the commercial cutter was 20%. The 48",52" and 61" units are very stable on slopes. The 36" does not hold the slopes as well due to the small deck. I am still not sure if you were using the older Surfer or the latest Super Surfer with the floating deck. The stand on mower is the most productive mowing machine on the market for the following reasons:

1. Its short wheel base makes it much more manuverable then a mid-mount "Z".

2. It has a competitive ground speed.

3. Its smaller and takes up less space on the trailer.

4. The operator, because he is standing, is much more aware of what he is doing.

5. The operator has a better view of what he is mowing and less likely to make a mistake.

6. The operator has less stress on his back because he is standing rather then sitting.

7. This machine allows you to cut more grass in less time with fewer people.

Item number 6 you may have a hard time believing but I have had many users confirm this.

Thanks,