Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ericlemson, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

What do you all think about reconditioned mowers? Specifically a John Deere.
  2. michiganlands

michiganlands LawnSite Member
    from z 5

nothing wrong with that.
  3. ericlemson

As you can tell, im trying to find something out there........

What do you think of a Yazoo Kees 42in zero turn fairly new?
  4. heatherbelle00

heatherbelle00 LawnSite Member

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere is a good brand, but it all depends on who is doing the reconditioning...

You speaking of a well known business or some guy you've never met before?
    It's not necessarily bad news either way, but take some clues, then add them up.

First you'll likely want to see if it's something they do full time, or just a sideline / part-time.
    The more they're into it, the better your chances overall.

If they're nuts about it and they're lunatic maniacs who know every spec of every John Deere ever made,
    it could be a guy you've never met if his whole driveway and backyard is littered with one JD after the next,
    he backs up his machines and lets you, no, RECOMMENDS you stump grind and bush hog with one while
    you're test-driving it, or do they just buy old mowers at large and fix'm up, buy 'as is' and see you later?
    Either way you'll likely want to check their reputation, what I'm saying.
  6. ericlemson

The mower is at Home depot. Im guessing they send it off???? I dont know. Its still there. I tried to get them to come off the price a bit in late Dec., but they didnt. Im going again this weekend to see if they want to wheel and deal.
  7. ericlemson

So I went to Home Depot today. The reconditioned mower (John Deere Z225) is normally 2899 and is marked down to 2499. I asked the manager if he really wanted to get rid of it and he said he could go down to 2350. Very tempting. Anyones thoughts on that? I should probably just do it.
  8. ericlemson

OK final question in this thread. I just found a Lowes that has a John Deere Z225 that was returned. Its not reconditioned, just used with 7.4 hours on it. It looks great. They had marked it down from 2899 to 2500. I asked the manager what he could drop it to and he said 2200 (obviously they want to get rid of it).

Can someone talk me in or out of this. This seems like a great deal. 1 year Lowes warrenty is included.
  9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a push mower at HD that had been returned. There was a good sized tag on it with the customer's complaint, name of the shop that did the work, and what was done. Price tag was reduced. I can't remember the complaint; it was an okay deal but I was just curious to read the tag. Reconditioned or refurbished can mean different things to different people. If the reason the Deere was returned was that it was slow going uphill, you should steer clear. If it was hard to start and the shop adjusted the valves with good results, that would probably be a buy. You need more info.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah there's no telling...

I bought my Oregon RBG blade grinder like that, used for about a month and it crapped out so the customer simply brought it back for another, you know how that is. But all that was wrong with it is it needed a switch, I got it for half price but it didn't look brand spanking new (but dang close) and it works great.
    Now I know the guy I bought it from, it's not a big department store.
    But, no warranty, more like he's just upfront and when he says it works I believe him.

With a warranty and all, you might want to see about getting some kind of an extended warranty "return it no questions asked" type of thing, but so long you're not using it commercially I would say the 7.4 hours one would likely be your best bet.

Probably something stupid, someone doesn't know much about mowers, bought a rider, then realized they liked the 21" better, who knows...
    As for the recondition HD one, I just don't know...
    But I like the Lowe's attitude better, from what you described, and you know the hours.