Record keeping

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Firefighter1428, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Firefighter1428

Firefighter1428 LawnSite Member

Now that this year is coming to an end, I would like to try something new next year when it comes to keeping track of my jobs. I was wondering how any of you keep track of the dates, times, location of each job, Along with payment from each client. Anyone use a good computer program or other any other ways.

Im not much of a "Secretary" and I would like to find a good and reliable way of record keeping.

Thanks for any help

2. Matt k

Matt k LawnSite Member

Quickbooks, Qxpress, Clip, etc... There are tons to pick from. We use a combination of Quickbooks and Qxpress. If you would like to save some money, you can always just set up a series of spreadsheets in excel, thats how I started.

3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I've used LawnPro software the past two years. I've been pleased. It is pretty reasonable at $74. The link is http://www.lawnprosoftware.com/. I also have Quickbooks Pro and Gopher. Will be trying to switch over to these two in the off season exclusively.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I used a cheep program, then my computer crashed and I didn't have it backed up. So for every bit of your sake, BACK-UP PROGRAMS!!!

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a laptop to record all dates and times then I transfer all info to my office computer and/or clip at the end of the day. If a customer wants an invoice right then on the spot I can print one right in the truck. I can also send info to my office computer anytime in the day because I have a wireless chip that auto connects to anything within range. I have Internet anywhere I go.

Good luck next year!!! So are you a voly FF or a ft FF? I am a voly FF and EMT-B.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I'm kind of old school. I have a three ring binder where each regular customer has a page. On the individual customer page, there is room to record, the date service, amount and payment description, plus a spot for any misc. notes. In the same binder, there are also pages to record info for one tine and temporary customers. The thing is basically a fancey ledger.

However, I do use Groundskeeper for invoicing, so I guess I have another copy of everything on the computer as well.

7. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of paper is in your 3 ringed binder. And don't say paper from a tree either. What does it look like on it.

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow I didn't know they made paper from something other then trees!

:laugh:

9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything is on Excel, on my computer, backed up on my laptop, also backed up on a Flash drive, also backed up onto a CD each month right after I send out all my invoices. Back up, back up, back up.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use excel on my computer, my wife put the formulas in for each column, adds, subtracts, gives total for the year, balance owed ect.

In the truck I use a day runner weekly calendar, each day has a line from 7 am to 6pm, I write in each client and then check them off as I go each day. At the end of the week I put it in a 3 ring binder and keep it for a record. here is a link to it
    http://www.dayrunner.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product3_10053_10004_127984_-1_false_10053##

Also on my pc, I keep records on the hard drive, flash drive and floppy disk. #electic copies and the paper to fall back on if needed.

wayne