Record keeping?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutandblow, Jun 8, 2004.

1. cutandblow

cutandblow LawnSite Member

If you don't use a computer program, what's your method of keeping track of what account needs to be mowed when, and who's paid up and who still owes you money?

Is the simplest way to just have a calendar in your notebook and write in your jobs on the days they need to be done and then mark "paid" when you've got the dough in hand?

It's probably the simplest, but it seems...I don't know....unorganized.

I know - lots of questions....thanks for your time, guys..I really appreciate it.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a CPU ....go on e Bay and get a copy of Quick Books ..... of some similar program is simply a must .... using pieces of paper is a lost cause .... spend some $$ on getting organized .... even a simple database program in Access can be created to set up customer info ...... anything will be better than a paper calendar

3. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a monthly calander book that shows the whole month when opened. I write to the left which accounts has to cut by the week because most of my accounts are biweekly. I write on the date who I cut and write the amount owed next to their name and when paid I put pd by the amount and a check mark and # if paid by check. I also put them on the schedule for their next cut at the same time so when Sunday comes I have visability of everyone on the schedule that week. I have quick books as well but this system works well for me, but I only have 28-30 accounts and cut part time but it works for me!

4. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

for now i just picked up simple invoice software at compusa (computer store) for $10. Works great with my 25 accounts.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Gopher 2003 is the way to go. Give it a try, it's got a 30 day free-trial. Can't hurt, and it works great. I used to have one of those huge 30" calenders in my car last year, that sucked. The night before I open Gopher 2003 and tell it to Print the next days schedule.

There's no guessing what account are to be cut the next day, and it works like a charm. Check it.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi cutandblow,

Please consider trying our software. You might find it very helpful.

Jwingfield2k thank you for thinking of us.

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

hello Val. Brave of you to use your name on a message board!
    I am a LA3 user and you and I have talked on the phone a few times, but not recently.

Real Green is, in my opinion, the best software solution for managing your business. But i do have issues with real green.

I think issues will arise with ANY software. I feel most, if not ALL, software companies know they have you RIGHT WHERE THEY WANT YOU!! So with ANY software, be prepared to open your wallet on a regular basis to keep it current.

8. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

Hi all, Im new to the site and have not been in the lawn care biz long as a profession. I purchased a program from "MySoftware" called My invoices and estimates deluxe. I like it and it does a great job of creating, sorting, and keeping track of estimates, bids, customers and there spending or paying habits. But it lacks the schedule tech. end of the need. I have seen some of these programs on here but most are $150 or better. I have eight kids and for me, after dropping 5k on machines and another 1200 on a trailer, its tough to invest in a program like that w/o knowing if its right for me. How do you sort them out????

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Gopher looks nice. Does it work with people who are on monthly billing? I have 0 weekly customers, everything is monthly.

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Office 2003 for the win WAIT! what do you mean you don't have a computer?

BAAAAADDDDD How you even posting.