Record start, anyone else having the same luck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Apr 10, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to brag by any means, but it's been a great year so far. We have been working lots of over time and still aren't caught up (infact about 3-4 weeks behind). It seems like every residential property we do we pick up atleast one of the neighbors and maybe even more. I have picked up 13 weekly maintanence accounts in the last 3 weeks and the calls are still coming. Has anyone else had similar experiences so far this year? People seem to be willing to spend a lot more this year also!
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I haved turned down 4 new mowing customers and about 8 power raking,areating jobs. My schedule is full and we are not taking on new accounts. And I dont advertize.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and BTW…. sorry for the misspelled words: at least, maintenance. Guess I should have used spell check!
  4. The Lawn Leprechaun

The Lawn Leprechaun LawnSite Member

We are off to a good start this year also. I havent advertised in years and the business just keeps coming(mostly commerical). We only have about 30 spring clean-ups left(we've done 60 so far). I am not turning down any business this year due to that I am building my dream house on my 100 acres(6,000 sq. ft. house) so I am taking all the business I can get so I can stay ahead of the game. I have about 150 accounts(80% of them are commerical) and I'm still taking on more accounts.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

My 1st Quarter was great!!!
    I am now just waiting to cut some grass. Been kind of boring for the past week. I finished everything up (fertilization, spring clean ups) on the 2nd, except for one I just did on the 9th. But I was lucky that I finished everything early because I was sick with Bronchitis this past week.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am having a great start in terms of spring time work but the weekly mowing accounts have dropped a little. I lost one to a dirtball doing it for cash and this year seems like everybody has a mower.
    I still am getting lots of thatch/aeration/spring clean work with some light landscaping too but the constant moneymaker (weekly mows) are hard to come by.
    One good thing is that the weather has been extremely cooperative here. In one sence its good for me to get work done but on the other hand the nice weekends let the one time warriors do their own lawns.
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

going pretty good, have about 6 more clean-ups. Hopefully the weather will be nice
  8. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

ECM - Yes we are expiriencing a fast start here in greensboro also. I didnt start pushing the service until middle of march and already have signed on 15 new weekly maintenance customers, Looking at new ones everyday. I exprirenced a big spurt last summer around july but last spring was real slow.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've been busier that schit since about the second week of March. Second year in the biz. Would have killed for this much business a year ago.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

Business here is terrible this year. I am one of about 15 landscapers advertizing in my local newspaper. It seems that someone is undercutting me on every estimate.

I don't know how or why these idiots would work for such a cheap price.

I ran into the same thing with snow plowing last fall, but I kept to my prices and eventually ended up with a profitable route.

I really enjoyed watching my competition plowing their brains out with hundreds of contracts to make the same amount of money, or less, than I did.

It will serve them right if they didn't make a penny and their businesses tank. I'm counting on picking up their lawn contracts next year after they go out of business.

These lowballers are ruining the business. Good riddance to them and I hope they lose everything in the process.