Record Your Equipt. Serial Numbers!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLS, Nov 27, 2001.

1. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Last Wed. (11-21) a thief waltzed into my garage and snatched a Redmax CHT-2200 (Hedge Trimmers $350). I had stopped to eat a sandwich and did not close the door. I live in a quite, peaceful residential neighborhood...very little in the way of crime..and was only going to be home for a few minutes.

Just so happens my wife was going out to get the newspaper and surprised the guy. He ran out of the garage and jumped into a waiting car. I heard her yell, ran downstairs, and got outside just in time to see the guys driving away.

We live on a "U" shaped street that starts and ends on the same road, so I jumped in my truck and headed up the road hoping to catch up with them and get a license plate number and good description of the car and it's occupants. I got lucky and as they passed me in the opposite direction and I was able to write down the tag number and descriptions. As I was pulling a Laser, a tractor, and all my gear (locked and chained) behind a 4-cylinder Ranger my chances of getting turned around and catching up to them were nil (lots of hills, curves, and side roads).

I immediately went back to the house and called the police with my story and description, and SERIAL NUMBER. When the police officers showed up at my house they were given the SERIAL NUMBER (which was written on the bill of sale).

As it turns out, when I called in my report the police were were issued a APB and two other cops spotted the vehicle in the parking lot of a local pawn shop. They went in, saw the guys pawning my trimmers, checked the SERIAL NUMBER, and ARRESTED them on the spot.

The detective (who had been building a case against these guys on previous thefts) called me today to tell me that I would be able to pick up my trimmers from the "Property Room" in a couple of days and wanted me to pick out the perps from a photo line-up. One of the thieves was out on probation and now faces a minimum of 5 years with NO PAROLE! :D

We were lucky to have seen these guys in the act and get their tag number but the detective told me that the SERIAL NUMBER cinched the case and without it they could not have confiscated the trimmers from the pawn shop.

The detective told me that lawn equipment gets reported stolen all the time (a rash of it in my neighborhood this year) BUT rarely is the SERIAL NUMBER recorded by the owner...and that the pawn shops are loaded with stolen gear...with no way to verify the REAL owners.

Thanks to the quick response of the Nashville Metropolitan Police Department, and the SERIAL NUMBER, we were able to bust these two guys who have been stealing from our neighborhood!

Sorry to be so long winded but...PLEASE RECORD THOSE SERIAL NUMBERS! You may get your stolen equipment back AND rid your neighborhood of thieves because of it! :D

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Good job SLS. I am glad you were able to get your trimmer back.

Recording your Serial numbers is a great idea. I have all of mine in my computers, but I need to get them some other place to in case my computers get stolen. :(

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have all my serial numbers recorded on disk, hard copy, and my insurance agent has a complete list for his records. Everything that has a number from push spreaders to trailers is recorded. I trust nobody. That's just the society we live in today. Good to here it all worked out for you. Everything is insured for full and current replacement value also, not what I may have payed a year ago. That is something to clarify also with insurance.

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have all my S/N on each equipment invoice and the S/Ns are on my business insurance policy.

I'm glad you will be getting your equipment back.:blob4:

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

wasnt there going to be a webpage from chuck with this type of thing?

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

amen. i also put my mark on them.in case they start switching
    info plates. dont know if it would hold up or not ,but i can tell the officer right where my unique mark is so should be
    enough for them to go with me on the claim.hope so anyway.
    heck id almost settle for just knowing who it is,and let time take care of the problem.this wouldnt do much good in lge cities etc,
    but in rural communities. things have a way of getting handled.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Writing the Serial Numbers on the back of the insurance policy sounds like a great idea...especially if you have to make a claim.

I was concerned because my trimmers were under my deductable so the loss was going to be "out of pocket". What really had me steamed was that I bought them new back in July and have only used them on 4 jobs...so they are still almost mint. GRRRRR!!!

I have my serial numbers written in the back of my owners manuals which are stored on a shelf in the garage.

All receipts have the serials numbers on them and they are in a file in the office. I need to put them on my computer...another good idea.

The primary thing is to have them HANDY. The police report shows that the thieves were at the pawn shop within 10 minutes of my called-in report! So being able to give the police the serial number IMMEDIATELY saved the day. :)

Another thing:

If you do get ripped off and go looking around in pawn shops for your stuff DO NOT tell them why you are there. Just pretend to be 'shopping' for the type of items you are looking for. The detective told me that pawn shops are NOTORIOUS for giving people "the runaround" when they know they are looking for stolen property. The pawn shops "don't wanna know"...if you know what I mean (wink, wink).

Last year, here in Tennessee, the legislature tried to pass a law requiring that pawn shops check (and record) a photo I.D. when a person pawned an item. Of course the pawn shops were freaking, and lobbied hard againt this bill, hiring 'civil' lawyers, stating that to check the I.D.'s constituted an "invasion of privacy" and "violated a person's right to privacy". Pretty easy to see through that one...they KNOW they make alot of money fencing stolen property!!! The bill failed...and palms were 'greased'....and honest people lose.... :angry:

As happy as I am to get my trimmers back, I'm far more pleased that 2 less thieves are prowling my neighborhood. :D

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have all my serial numbers incorporated into my insurance policy. They asked what I would be using and I gave them make/model/serial.

I heard a guy tried walking a machine right off a guys trailer this season!!! Talk about nads.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

also good idea to have a photo of each individual valuable piece of equip one owns ;->