Recorded Snow Fall Per Storm???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by HandyHaver, Jan 30, 2001.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

The last storm we got out this way was kind of strange. I would say we got 6+ inches over 90% of my route. I billed 6-9" only had one guy (a doctor) complain about the price. The local news said we got around 6" along with the papers, but I know this guy got 6+ on his property. I only plowed it once because it came down so fast. I tried to explain to him that I would have prefered to do it twice. I also tried to explain that it takes about the same amount of time if I had plowed 3" twice or 6" once. Well the outcome was I gave it to the guy (telling him I would discount the 6-9" price instead of billing him for 2-6" and giving in to him) because of local news & papers. I know he had to have had 7 or 8" on his property.
    This guy really got my goat because he was the only one to complain (most of my other customers have already paid without question) and he sits up in his 3/4 mil estate measuring snow. I was wondering how others would have handled it. It's a gravy job and I also plow the lane up to his house that he splits with a neighbor on the lane.

Mark

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

3. HandyHaver

No, not on the list but thanks anyway BRL

Mark

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Handy,

Your pricing ladder seems a bit confusing? You say that you have one price for 2" - 6" and another for 6" - 9" ? What happens when you get exactly 6" ??? The 2" - 6" is too big of a jump. Try 2-4 and 5-7 and 8-10 and 11-13 etc. Have each price stated on the quote or contract and stick to it. Now, I realize that this was a heavier snow, but not our heaviest! The other biggie 8" we got was like plowing cotton balls, you bet though, I charged the 8-10 price.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts neighbor!

5. HandyHaver

Tom,

I did kinda screw that part up. What can I tell you, first year out, it's a learning curve. I will revise the contracts for next year if I should decide to do the res. work. Thanks for the advise.

Mark

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I think you have to go say 2-6 and then 6-9 and so on. If you skip say 2-5 and then 6-9 what happens when you get 5.5"
    You then have a grey area, a whole inch that the contract doesnt cover.
    I think its up to your discretion when it falls right at increment break, which pricing level you will use.
    Dino

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Simple....Round UP!!! Remember the customer is not the BOSS, we are, at least when it snows.

When is the last time a customer complained about 1/2 of an inch? None of my customers have ever complained about my pricing structure. They are just happy to have a clear lot/driveway for a predetermined price.

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

In the case of this type of customer, he would complain about a 1/2". So having exact inch incements is vital in this case.
    Dino

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't quite understand how you bill by the inch for a storm, even if you use DTN or NWS for reporting. We get a fair amount of lake effect here (not nearly as much as JAA), but it can vary a mile down the road. Unless I'm not understanding it right, but I don't think that would work for us.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mark,

Simple, say Lot 1 gets 4" and 5 miles away Lot 2 gets 7". Lot 1 gets billed $100 and Lot 2 gets billed $150. It usually doesn't vary that much here, but thats why I bill by the inch. The bills get sent out as soon as I finish plowing the storm. They are due Net 15 Days from invoice date.

Hope this clears things up for you.