recovering grub damage.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Jul 2, 2001.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive noticed a few spots in the lawn turning brown. raked up a little and found grubs. ive treated it, but we have a party this weekend. should i excessively water or what else can i do to make it green up quick. i think i caught it just in time because the roots are still in tact and its not totally brown.
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it will be ready that soon...
  3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

To have fast green-up, put down iron+fertilizer. Something like 5-10-31, NOT high in nitrogen, you'll stress the turf even further. 5-10-31 will green up in two days if you water it in good, PLUS the potash will encourage root development. The worse thing you could do for stressed turf in the summertime is apply high concentrations of nitrogen. The iron will keep it green for a week or two, give or take.
  4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry YOU are wrong. The iron will translocate with the help of a little nitrogen (5), it tricks the turf into taking it in. I've always had it work for me.

I think there is alot of debate because alot of people don't understand how it works!
  6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you absolutely have to have it green, get some turf paint. That will work for temporary solution for your party. Then deal with the turf problem later.
  7. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

5-10-31 10%Fe will do wonders for the lawn. Water it in really good and you should have great results. Let us know how it turns out.
    Bill Craig