Recruiting employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grass-scapes, Mar 31, 2012.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Give him a bonus,the more weight he loses the longer he'll live.
  2. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

I go through employees all the time, I think finding good employees is more important than anything else in this business. Ive been lucky with the guys that I have now and I am realizing that searching for good employees should be taking up much more of my time.

Look up some old posts by AZgardener he has some great thoughts that have helped me out on this subject.
  3. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would bring this back up. I've had much of the previous posts experience and will be beginning a search here soon. Does anyone have any good search ideas? I have posted a sign in the shop lawn by the road, run a craigslist ad, run ads in the newspaper.

I've improved the training, improved the benefits, cautioned the crew leaders to go easy on the new hires (break them in slowly), explained the advancement opportunities.

The one suggestion that I haven't done is always be hiring. I feel like I would be taking a huge risk hiring in the winter when I can get by without them and the work load is low then have them quit when it starts to get busy and hot.
  4. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

A little networking wouldnt hurt. Around here upper end golf courses get a lot of qualified applicants who seem to be more motivated. Might want to talk to the golf course super and let him know you are looking for some good people if he has applicants he cant use
  5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm basically convinced hiring part-time people is where it's at ....who already have jobs. Or stay solo and keep your rates high and avoid this hassle and work less.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I've found the best employees come from other companies in the industry.

Hired one guy from another company, if we wanted he said he could get another 2-3 guys from the company he used to work for.
  8. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

That is great! Until this guy thinks you suck too, just like the other company he used to worked for.
    And when he moves on to yet another company, will he be offering the same to the new company he offered you?
  9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Well with that train of thought, i guess you can't hire anyone with experience?

His employees are free to work for whoever they want. If they think the grass is always greener at the other LCO, so be it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

The other company has 80+ employees, I don't think they'll miss him especially after he's asked them for a raise three years in a row. If employees want to leave they know where the door is :walking: