1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

recycle existing aggregate??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Agape, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

does anyone ever reuse good gravel under existing concrete driveways when replacing with pavers?
    seems like a waste to just throw it away.

2. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

Yeah of course, as long as nothing has gotten mixed into the aggregate, and it's deep enough and compacted enough for your new material.
    We just pulled up a 8,000 sq. ft. black top driveway that was only 3 years old to install pavers on and the crusher was still in great condition. We had to do a little bit of raking and tweaking to the base, but we screeded right over it and laid in the pavers.

You might just want to do some spot checks or test holes, dig in a couple of spots to make sure base is deep enough and there isn't any clay mixed in.

3. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I would expect it to have at least 4" aggregate under the slab, but i am going to put 8" under the pavers for a driveway, so i would need to move it, excavate, and then put it on top of geotec with the extra additional gravel, i won't know whats down there for sure until i demo