Recycled glass VS. Mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Aug 1, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if anyone has seen what I'm talking about but I found something I had never seen in beds before, and my customer told me it was recycled glass, and that the price per pound was 1/4 that of mulch. It looks nice to me, very coloful, and looks like it might be easier to install, because it's only about 1 inch thick, and seems to keep the weeds and grass from coming up pretty well.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Does it really come out cheaper than mulch to do beds with? Does there seem to be a demmand for it? I've never seen it before untill now, but I'm also new to landscaping, with my business primarily coming from mowing. I get requests all the time from customers wanting to get rid of weeds in flowerbeds, so I think I should start offering mulch or an alternative, such as this recycled glass, to keep those weeds from coming back. It seems like fairly simple way to break into some landscaping and make additional income.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Never seen it.
    I know what tumbled glass is, not used as bedding mulch.

Is it possible you can take a picture and post it?

3. LawnMowerMan2003

I don't have a digital cam, so it may take a while. My customer has it in some of her beds. I would estimate it is an inch thick. There aren't alot of plants in most of the beds, but there are at least some bushes. It may be tumbled glass, I'm not sure. I just know she said it was made from recycled glass, small multicolored beads.

4. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

i have to imagine the moisture retaining quality is poor and even damaging to the landscape, would not hold moisture and even reflect heat to burn plants?

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Yeah I know what they are

Around here florists are selling vases that have the beeds on the bottom filled with water and one of those colorful fighting fish with toper of more glass and a plant with the roots into the water.

That stuff is not cheep

6. LawnMowerMan2003

Maybe it's not very good for the plants. As far as the price, I think the customer said 1/4 the price per pound compared to mulch. Still, I'm not sure how much 1/4 pound would cover vs. 1 pound of mulch. I thought maybe the closely packed particles vs. larger rocks would make it suitable for retaining moisture?

7. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I can only imagine what a "female dog" it must be to trim a "glass bed" hahahah I can see the lawsuits now!!!