1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recycled rubber for playgrounds?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lewdo, Mar 12, 2007.

1. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Hi Folks. Tried searching for threads for info on recyled rubber material for playgrounds, but couldn't find any. Any info where I can get some in the midwest much appreciated.
  2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

St. Louis there are grants for this helps me sell it easier.
  3. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

most garden supply centers carry it, im familiar with the popular brand "groundscape" can come in a super sack which is equal to 3 yards. its pricey but it very nice.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Just price it out for my sons playground. Its 24'x36'. I'd like to go 6" deep with it. Its PermaLife SoftStuff.

According to their brochure I picked up 2k#'s covers 160sqft @ 6" thick. Which means I need 5, 2k# bags and another 1k# bags.

After pricing it out it came out to be $3,300 dollars.:eek: :eek: :eek:

If I go to 4" thick I need 3, 2k# bags and another 1k# bag. Pricing that out it gave me 2.1k.

I thick I'll stick to the playground mulch @ 30/yd. It'll cost less than 500 bucks.
  5. SuperZZZ

SuperZZZ LawnSite Member

I know homedepot sells the bag.In my area ford was selling it for i believe 400.00 a yrd but I could be wrong on that price,it was cheaper then bags for quantity tho.Homedepot has red,green and blue i think. good luck
  6. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was just a lawn and garden show and talking to a supplier of this. They were very adamant that you could put this on a lot thinner than regular mulch because it's heavier and won't move around as much. I thought the price was a little expensive myself ($650/ton) but then I thought about how often I would have to replace it vs. regular mulch and the prices seem to equal out. I figure if the rubber stuff is around for 4-5 years then the prices are equal and I've saved labor every spring. Just my thoughts. Plus you could say you're "green" and become one of those eco-friendly LCO's.
  7. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

if you have a menards in your area they have it for pretty cheap.
  8. shawnlawn

shawnlawn LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I sell it for a dealer 25 miles from me. I sell rubberific and nuplay.
  9. shawnlawn

shawnlawn LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Can anyone tell me how to post a thread please.
  10. TurfConcepts Inc

TurfConcepts Inc LawnSite Member

It's not bad stuff if you don't mind smelling like an old inner tube.