Recycling Plants and Trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Feb 7, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You ever get on a job and the client asks you to remove some shrubs or trees and you think to yourself, "Wow! A few of those are pretty nice!"

What do you do? Convince her to keep them? Agree to take them away and then pot them up or B&B them up and store them for later use? Take them for your own landscape? Or just haul them away, like she requested?

We recycle a decent amount each year. I usually explain to them what I'll be doing. I'll say, "Sure. No problem. But if you don't mind, rather than throwing all of them away, I think we'll pot up a few of those and save them. I can probably find someone else who will want them down the road." They always tell me, "No problem. If someone else can use them, even better. I just want them outta here."

Anyone else save and re-use plants or trees you got for free?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

There's been a LOT of landscaper's houses that have mosly recycled plants put in it. :)

Personally, I've got a few things waiting on me to be planted that had been previously planted. Definately not gonna do it with however much frost we have in the ground right now, not to mention the 4+ inches of snow we got yesterday!
  3. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I have a beautiful landscape of unwanted plants.

Sometimes have to listent to the angel side of me when they want tot get rid of anice plant. One parts says -- yeah -- that'll look great by my water garden --- Another part says -- no convince them to keep it.

Usually I cna convince them to keep it.

But.... last year when a customer inasited over and over they did not want that stupid little maple in their back yard I took it out. They said it had been theri for 20 years and barely grown.

So now I have a about 3" caliper Acer palmatum dissectum in my backyard patio area.

I felt a little bad about that one :)
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, I try to recycle whatever any of my clients wants removed. Often times it is builder plant material and that stuff works great on the commercial sites I design. I keep a small nursery area and select the plants I want for my own gardens, decorate my neighbors properties, I have to look at them, and keep the rest for upcoming jobs. Everyone has different tastes, so why let good plant material go to waste.

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I have removed plants and shrubs from landscape and pots that the clients didn't want and replanted in my own landscape. I have a 20ft hemlock in my front yard that I wouldn't trade for anything which came from a lady that just didn't like it!
  6. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I've done it in the past and will definately do it again in the future. Obviously junk gets yanked. However I went with somebody to an estate the other day, and was pissed off to learn that the landscaper who did the work there trashed 20K+ in nice plant material.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer who bought about 20 small maples that he wanted me to plant for him ,but his wife didn't want them plantesd on the property so he asked her what does he do with the trees now that he bought them and had them for a couple weeks? She turned to me and asked if I wanted them and if I did I could have them for free. So I ended up with the trees and kept 3 for my backyard and then ended up selling the rest to other customers and made a very decent profit off of it.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Might as well, it would be a shame to just waste otherwise good stuff. Its a good idea letting the customer know your intentions though, incase by chance they did find out.
  9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I had a commercial account that put in $3000.00 worth of plants to have them removed 2 weeks later because the " new " GM didn't like them . I said " What do you want to do with the old ones " new GM says " Run them off a cliff for all I care " Jim ; would you like to have a glass of ice tea with me next to my waterfall /pond and new courtyard garden ?
  10. Ihydro2

Ihydro2 LawnSite Member

We have recyled many plants over the years. Many times I take a plant thats not doing so well and bring it to my nursery of nurseries. I have an area of about 1/4 to 1/2 acre thats just plants I've collected.