1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recycling telephone/utility poles????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Jan 2, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Had a random thought today. After hurricane Isaac hit a few months ago the utility companies have been switching out old dated poles for new stronger poles. Plus replacing all the damaged poles. I asked one of the supervisors what they are doing with the old poles. He said they cut them up and trash them..they are stockpiling the old poles down the road from my shop. I was wondering if you could cut the poles into different lengths as desired. Then attach them say 5 or 6 poles wide and use them as equipment mats. Am I thinking way to far out the box?
  2. Forever Green Landscaping

Forever Green Landscaping LawnSite Member

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I would think docks or pole barns but mats would be useful down there also.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i would think not any people would touch them with the creosote on them...
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Depends on how old they are. Some of those poles are likely soaked in some nasty stuff. PVB's and other stuff including metals and such to keep them from rotting.

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say if you had the property make a ropes course or the like
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Dueksters right anout the PCBs in my area majority of transfoers no longer have PCBs in fluids but have envirmentally friendly chemical. Not sure about your area though but even if transformers no longer due some maybe on pole from when they switched fluid. You may want to let them goe unless you can be sure they do not have PCBs just because of possible liability
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

We have used them for corner post on barb wire fence in the past
  9. Around here they are used for fence posts, pole barns and some tall deer stands.
  10. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Thought about using one to keep crazies from driving through my fence...cut into sections and burying around perimeter.
    Then taking one and constructing some sort of gate that would be a deterrent to theives crashing my gate