recycling used pipe & heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MnLefty, Dec 9, 2013.

1. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone recycles used poly, insert fittings, and heads. I'm working for a new company and part of my winter is a thorough cleanout and organization of a disasterous shop. There are boxes and boxes of spent heads around, several hundred, along with a few barrels of short scrap poly, some with fittings on the end. Is this stuff recycleable easily, as in without removing clamps or springs out of the heads? If I can throw it in a giant tote and recycle as is I'd do it. If it has to get stripped down I'd rather just chuck it in a dumpster...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Fittings I may re-use ,
    Heads I just think you are asking for headaches.
    Just my opinion.
    You could save poly scraps for repairs, depends how thrifty your employer is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Ps
    When you get done with that shop cleanup head towards mine!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Does any manufacturer do " wanted dead or alive" days anymore? for heads

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

We have a ton of clocks in our shop....Every year the pile gets bigger and bigger...My supervisor won't let anything go..Which sometimes can be good, but most of the time we end up with tons of second hand stock....

:(

6. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Should have been more clear... I'm talking about recycling in the sense of recycling the plastic, NOT reusing. The fittings are not worth the time spent to clean them up... the heads will have to be date checked as some are still warranty eligible but I was really questioning recycling the plastic versus just tossing it in the trash.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

My boss went to the local transfer station, They said its a type 7 plastic or something which they do not recycle...to the trash we put them...

I really would love to throw a bunch of pipe in a barrel melt it down and try to make something cool..

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Good for your side jobs :laugh:

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I was told the same when I threw nozzle racks and rotor cans in the recycling.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I do sometimes reuse poly fittings, as they are easy to cut out of the pipe. heads, I keep if I am replacing them for a bad design, rather than the head being actually bad. i have a whole box of good, but used toro stream rotors from this reason.(they were used where sprays should have been and changed them out yearsa go. )