1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

red and yellow lines in my turf?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I noticed today while mowing that the tire lines from last week had a fair number of yellow blades on St augustine lawns and red blades on the bahia lawns. It was enough to know exactly where I had mowed last week. worked great for varying my lines, but looked weird.

I am tending to think it is lack of water added to the stress from the tires. I only noticed it on lawns that are not irrigated and it hasn't rained here in 2 weeks +/-.

It isn't really noticable unless you look down the mow line.

Any ideas?
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, sounds to me like the turf needs some water. Down in FL its probably getting pretty warm by this time.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

red yellow and brown strips here ,it Hasn't rained in 3 weeks ,what started out heavy spring growth just 20 days ago ,is almost back to dormant ,probably skipped over 20 customers this week do to no growth
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

tell me about it. I mowed almost everyone because they were borderline and you know what one hour of rain would do to those lawns.

So you sold the Wright stander. I ended up with the new scag 36 Zcat. Couldn't get a second demo of the stander and I really hated the idea of changing the caster height 3-5 times daily.
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

ya that was my biggest beef with the stander ,by the end of the day ,your hands were just black of grease ,even with gloves on ,the scag looks nice ,well built ,plus bigger tires than the stander ,will work out well in rainy season good luck