Red Belly - for heavy duty mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Feb 10, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I picked this up for larger, heavier mowing jobs. Too often ZTR's are not enough, or the terrain is beyond what I feel comfortable mowing. I was just curious if anyone else is making use of old tractors and bush-hogs for their heavy jobs?

1955 Ford 8n.JPG

2. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i seen a really nice 8N on a website somewhere.
    completly restored with turf tires and a woods belly mower.
    looked awesome. doesn`t really relate to your question though...:)

3. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

when the going get's tough i borro the neighbor's 9n

4. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I was looking at one. the guy wants 1800. it hasn't ran in 10 years i'd say.the bush hogger goes with it.

5. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I have a Massy Ferguson 250 ( about 43hp tractor) w/a 5' bush hog I use for my heavy rough stuff.

6. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48hp John Deere 4wd and 6 ft bushhog for the rough stuff. I also have a 6 ft belly mower for it, but the zero turns will mow circles around it. Now I only used it to cut muddy fields and ditches(in 4 wheel drive). I smoked the belt one time trying to cut thick fescue about 2 ft tall. Had to go get the bushhog. When trying to mow at 8 to 10 mph like the Scags do, the tractor bounces around to much and the blades don't turn fast enough to cut clean. Plus you loose to much time turning around.

7. MOZE4MUNY

MOZE4MUNY LawnSite Member
    from NW Fla

I don't use a tractor and a bushhog. I do use a 30 inch DR Field and Brush mower for maintaining ditches, lots, foreclosures or what ever reason someone neglects their property until the growth is waist high.

8. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about the DR several times. Do you like the performance of the machine?

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have one thats about four years old and I bet it hasn't been used 50 hours and its a piece of junk. The transmission has already been replaced once, the drive chain jumps off, and the long shaft on the deck that slides into the machine and allows the deck to articulate side to side broke off for no reason and had to be welded back. The machine is made all over with thin steel. Nothing is heavy duty on the and the 15 hp kawasaki engine is a piece of crap. I wouldn't recommend one.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just be careful on that thing.

We call all those types of tractors "WIDOWMAKERS" around here.
    They have been the death of many a good man and experienced operator.