Red Cedar Mulch - Anybody like?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Apr 27, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Ok, who uses the dyed red mulch?

Personally, I can't stand it, and push folks away from it. I think it has an extremely phoney look.

Most every customer I talk to says they hate it too.

So my question is, if everyone hates it so much, why do I see it EVERYWHERE?!?!

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Give 'em what they want. I'd never used it before this season, always just used the no float shredded cypress. But, one after another has asked for it, so I give it to them.

3. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Ditto`s Green Monster. I hate red cedar mulch and always push ,or try to push them away from it. It does look bad.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

ugh!..................

5. Maybe I'm the oddball but I like it. However the wife doesn't so there's none to be seen around my home.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We just tell everyone that we are allergic to it.:D Seems to work thus far!

We have used black dyed mulch though. It looks a LOT better than the red, though it's not my first choice.

We are using brown-dyed bark mulch for the first time this year. It looks promising for holding it's color....

Dan

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I kind of like the black pine. It has a classy kind of look.

I wish my supplier had something between natural pine and dyed black pine.

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I use it. The stuff I use is actually red, not that wierd sorta red color you see all the tiime. Also, it isn't cedar, it's dyed hardwood mulch. Red cedar is actually red cedar and isn't really red. More like a strwberry blonde and smells good, too.

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

in some places the red cedar mulch looks pretty good, depends where your putting it and whats already there....but whatever the customer wants they shall get.

I dunno why but i believe that the red cedar mulch carries the most spores, i think i stopped using it at my house when these red dots covered the front of the house.

Jeff

10. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

Personall I prefer the brown dyed. I think it makes the plants pop a little more. And looks classier.