Red Diesel

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lb59, May 15, 2006.

1. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

Anybody here using it?

2. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

I hope by red you mean offroad diesel? I believe you will go through fuel pumps and filters like crazy using it, but that probably still easily offsets the price difference between the two.

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I wouldent take a chance using it in on road vehicles. But in anything off highway, there is nothing wrong with.

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I'm using it for the seventh year in Yanmar diesel engines on my Dixie Chopper mowers. I've had no problems. If you use road fuel for off road use, you should be able to get Federal and State fuel tax refunds.

5. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We keep a separate supply tank for diesel that is dyed red. It is the same fuel as the diesel we run in the trucks, but the red dye indicates that we have not paid road taxes on it. There is no difference in the quality and no additional fuel filters, etc. Home heating oil is also red, but doesn't have all of the lubrication qualities of the diesel. We choose not to run home heating oil because of that.

Do not run red diesel or heating oil over the road. It will cost you big bucks. Last year the IRS inspector came to our shop unannounced to check our stock tanks, read our signs (which state which fuel is red and which is clear), and stick our truck tanks. I am sure that this will be an annual visit.

6. paul3251

paul3251 LawnSite Member

ya theres no differense just the dye color,to identify on and offroad use

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Red Diesel (or pink as its called here), is fine to run in offroad equipment...thats what its for :)

It does have a different sulfur content than road diesel.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use it daily in my tractor and grinder. What dirty water said is right. The sulfur has something to do with lubricating the fuel system better for the harsh conditions of off road equipment. Thats what someone told me:confused: It all burns the same.....

9. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

Does any one know how to do this in Ohio?
    I tried to do it on my Fed and State taxes this year but couldn't figure out how to do it on the returns.

10. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

1*The red diesel and home heating oil is the exact same stuff here.
    2*They can check them all they want but they can't enforce it if the tuck wasn't on the road?

I'm vehemently opposed to such over stepping of authority tactics.