1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

red flag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

would this be a red flag? - customer is already late on her payment. she wants me to continue service, saying she will pay on the 20th. big problem though, the payment sh'es late on, was due 4/01. if she pays that one april 20th, i can be certain, the next payment (due 5/01) will be late also. i was mentioning this to my wife the other day. my wife called me from the office yesterday, " just want to let u know, that customer who didn't pay her bill...her house just went on the market today." would u continue service? would you discuss it with the customer?
  2. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

Warning Warning will robinson! Yes collect a.s.a.p. And get out of there.
  3. mole

mole LawnSite Member

stop cutting if it's on the market and looks like crap how will she sell it.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would definetly bring this up to the customer. FYI, I would also get the # from the sale sign of the realator possibly give them a call. Lets the customer know you dont play games. Good Luck!!!
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah ive seen this before, i actually had a customer for almost 2 full seasons, then suddenly he didnt want the lawn cut anymore bascialy said im charging too much.. so i said ok.

next season, season3 , he calls me in april, can you cut it this last week and all of may? i said sure. So as always i bill him

His house was on the market, i cut a total of 6 times, 6 cuts for $45 each, i send him a bill end of may, and i get nothing by 3rd cut in june. So i call him and call him and oh i just forgot. NOthing for 2 more weeks, call again, now im not getting answers. Then i find out someones ALREADY LIVED IN THE HOUSE FOR THE LAST WEEK THAT I CUT THE LAWN, some chinese or asian people who dont speak any english, the guy is looking at me funny. So this customer didnt even live there anymore and im taking care of his property for his house sale while he moves away, finally i threatened months later with court, and he sent me a check for $200, whatever a$$hole, dont send me my $270 send me $200 and HOPE i still dont take you to court. i understand some people get into a jam and loose jobs/money etc, if he was honest about it i would have even given him the last lawn cut for free for being a ex customer or waited for payment longer or taken payments to pay off the bill, instead this jerkoff tries to stiff me and not pay anything while moving to a townhouse he rents for $1600 amonth, christ what was your mortgage per month if thats a downgrade?
  6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

suspend service immeditally, and start collections process immeditially. anywork would be cash up front, on the barrelhead, AFTER she has caught acount up, INCLUDING any reinstatement fees, late charges, collections charges, etc etc. Stick to your zero tolerance policy.
  7. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

if you got her on contract, which i am sure you do, get a lien against the property quickly.
  8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Discontinue services until payment is received and then have her pay upfront. I had a customer last year that had their house on the market. It was always tough getting paid. Sometimes people sell their house not to get into a nicer one but to get out of payments they can't afford. She wants you to keep servicing because she wants to sell her house. That will be hard if her lawn looks like crap. Stop service and she will pay even if she has to pawn something or she will go to another lawn care company with the same problem. Get money up front for all future service!
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think you should cut it for free
  10. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Slap a Lien on her property. Can't sell the house until it's resolved.