Red Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hgotti, Jun 8, 2006.

1. hgotti

hgotti LawnSite Member

i have a customer with a perfect lawn very green and fertlized.he started to get all spots of red grass,the grass actually looks red in all spots all over his yard.does anybody know what it is and how to treat it.i have to put something down for it tommorrow

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How about some pictures?

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like Red thread. (Fungus among us) Does he have a sprinkler system that is watering at night or too much? or has it been overly wet?
    A higher nitro fert. will help put an end to it. Home depo has a cheap fungus killer that will take care of it also. Do a search on it and look at pictures I would bet from what you descibe thatis what it is.

4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Too much nitrogen, alot of rain and cloud cover, and cool temps...basically what we have had alot of in the NE lately. And yes, from what you have described, it is exactly Red Thread. I'm in NJ and have been on lawns this week where it is showing up as well. Last week, nada.

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

im in ct also, ive written about this very same thing a few days ago, it seems like there is a outbreak of red thread in ct this year, due to all of the rain..

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it's worse on irrigated, fertilized lawns, believe me...btw, ya didn't see it last year around here in our drought, did ya?

8. hgotti

hgotti LawnSite Member

thank you all for you posts, i really appreciate it. it help me out alot.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me like symptoms and causes of red thread .It might a good idea to think about bagging the grass clippings.Get it on a good fert program , based on a soil test . If your licensed to apply, a fungicide program may be in order.

10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to see another Devil Dog on this site! Semper Fi!