1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Gravel?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnspecialties, Mar 12, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a new customer who has asked for a quote to remove the pine straw from their bed areas and replace with red gravel. What the heck is red gravel? The only thing I can think of are lava rocks or brick chips. That may be what they're referring to but anyone else have any other ideas? They are from China and speak so-so english but I'm trying to get an idea before getting back with them. Thanks.:)
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I know of two types, one is called red polished pebbles and they have a more formal look or you can get a crushed sandstone type material that is a blood red color with a rough finish.
  3. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

if they have plants in the bed i would advise them not too... the rocks will reflect the heat, not absorb it and can cause the plants to die... its happend to customers of mine.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks to you both. I'll check into your recommendations rich but I'll discourage them with your point, packer. As swamped as I am right now, this sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth.:)