Red Grease?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by AAXteriors, Sep 26, 2007.

1. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I just bought a used Kubota 21:weightlifter: and i was looking to grease it. i noticed the previous owners used red grease although some of the grease looks black. I was wondering were you all get red grease from and where is the best price. The reason i want to use red grease is to keep it consistent. I was told that if i change grease types i have to clean out the whole fitting and re-pack it with the different grease.

Sorry for the long post, Thanks

Josh

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know where to get it, maybe a tractor supply store or maybe a local dealer. All I know is we use red grease in all of our stuff and it turns to black if it leaks out of the fitting after use.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Pensoil 707 is red, it's what we use in the shop:drinkup:

ericg likes this.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

There are lots of red greases! Your best bet would be to call the former owner, and ask what brand he used. The thing you want to do is to switch from a lithium based grease to a sodium based grease. There are several hi temp greases that I know of, that are red. Also amsoil grease is red, so if you can't track it down, you'll have to smear a little of your mystery grease on a index card, and compare a few visually. I don't think you want to go to the expense of analysis for a little grease.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Chevron grease is red or a maroonish color.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i was told you NEVER mix lithium and moly(sulphur) grease... they will liquefy when mixed and loose their protective properties.

7. o2man98

o2man98 LawnSite Member

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Yard Pro- you could have it righter than me, I hear so many mechanics tips, sometimes it leaves me befuddled! I yield to superior knowledge!

9. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

Lithium grease is the most common equipment grease. Grease is made from oil and a 'soap' material to make it firm. Lithium is the soap in lithium grease the red is just color and has no real purpose otherwise. I am not aware of any farm, lawn, or construction equip that calls for any thing other than lithium. Any of the other grease should not be used because of washout. Any good grease will be compatable with what the owner used. I personally don't care for moly grease as in our equip is has tended to dry out and make some zerks increasingly hard to service.

10. haul03486

haul03486 LawnSite Member

Wal-mart has the red high temp grease it is most commonly used for packing wheel bearings. I however use it in my cutting deck spindles because it resist breakdown much better. It cost 1.97 a tube at wal-mart for a grease gun cartridge. But it is correct not to use/mix grease because of the defferent chemical makeup.