Red Hawk/Dixon?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MGServicesINC, Aug 10, 2008.

1. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

As the owner and chief engineer of our company, I can attest that the overwhelming majority >90% of our product's content is American-made. Something's simply can no longer be purchased domestically (those industries have already been wiped-out). But, wherever possible, we buy American- even if it costs more.

It should be obvious what's happening; they're buying our markets- plain and simple. In just the same way that there's no such thing (in reality) as a $379 Walmart flat-screen, there's also no such thing as a $1700 48" dual hydro mower. That won't even cover the direct material costs. But, if the Chinese government subsidizes their industries (let's them operate at a loss for a few years), they can systematically destroy any competition. It's a real simple, zero-sum, winner-take-all form of predatory "gang-bang" Commu-capitalism. Economic warfare at its ugliest. And, the thing that really grinds my gears, is we have stab-your-Mother-for-a-buck "American importers" willingly enabling these Mao-ists. I hope their profits turn to "ashes in their mouth"- Traitors.

Time to support OUR country for a change.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What a load of bull....

You could be using Kohler AMERICAN MADE AND OWNED Kohler engines instead of those Kawasaki engines where all of the profits head straight back to Tokyo.

3. GPDesign1

RM:

I agree- Engines are a problem. When Kohler builds an engine that's competitive (in our class) to the Kawasaki's, we'll feature it in a heartbeat. We have infact added a Kohler to our lineup for '09 along with our domestic-sourced Briggs.

Something I find ironic; the Kawasakis are built with American labor in Marysville, Missouri. Briggs' Vanguard v-twins are all built by Daihatsu in Osaka Japan (and cost 20% more). Go figure.

If my money has to leave the country, I'd rather it go to a civilized nation like Japan, than to a bunch of heathen Communists.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Gary is absolutely right !!

5. lifetree

Gary -- Could you please elaborate on what characteristics you would need for Kohler engines to be "competitive" for you ?

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

2 words; CHINA CRAP!

if any one buys one they will :cry: when it craps out and be like :hammerhead: :dizzy:

7. GPDesign1

Kohler builds a great engine and I've been a fan for thirty years, but most of their products are geared toward larger HP riders. I can't build a 36" mower with a 20HP engine. :laugh:

We've added a 16 Courage to our lineup for '09 and believe it to be an excellent product (for a single-cylinder). But Kohler's smaller HP stuff (Command) is all single-cylinder (not as smooth) and TOO HEAVY... I can't offer them on our flagship, premium line. It'd be a grade-down from Kawasaki.

Gimme a 70 pound, smooth, quiet 15-16HP Kohler twin at a competitive price and we'll have it fitted in thirty days.

8. Wittapp

Wittapp LawnSite Member

I find it interesting that Garry admits to using foreing made paarts to be assembled in the US, but, condemns another company for doing the same thing. I am in Ohio, So are the headquarters for the US operations of RedHawk. With all of the manufacturing jobs that have been lost in Ohio (3200 in the last year in my metro area) I am going to do everything I can to support goods assembled/manufactured in Ohio.

9. lifetree

Actually, you probably could ... might even sell alot of them !!

10. lifetree

Thanks for the explanation ... it makes sense to me !!