red hawk mowers is now dixie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RICHIE K, Feb 28, 2007.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Went to my local dealer the other day and he told me that dixie has taken over red hawk mowers dixie is now going to sell there mower as there own walk behind mower and it comes in black, just a little fyi

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I don't know about taking over Redhawk, but it is the same cheap Chinese mower. In fact that same Chinese mower is available under 5 or 6 different brand names. Only difference is the paint and decals.

3. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper is buying the Redhawk/Piranaha/Havener/etc. walk behind mower just so their dealers who are DC only will have access to a walk behind mower. While they are painted black and gray, you will not find the Dixie Chopper name anywhere on the machine. This came straight from their Marketing Directors mouth. I spoke with him at the Farm Machinery Show in Louisville.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if they're going to build it at the Dixie plant? Landscaper Supply had the whole mess for sale a couple of years ago on eBay. You got all the rights to build the mower plus a warehouse full of parts and machines for $100,000.

The way the manufacturing works is the stamped steel parts like the frame and deck are shipped from China and you assemble it here with whatever parts you decide should go into it.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't take one of those if you gave it to me for free...what a piece of junk.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe Dixie will upgrade it. The concept and operation of the RunBehind was first class. It just lacked the looks and marketing implimentation to get it going. Imagine a normal looking walkbehind with Dixie Chopper hydros, spindles and a 28 EFI engine. Wow!

Just a thought.:)

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I don't think Dixie has the money to do any upgrading on those things. They are having a hard time as it is, just staying afloat with what they build now.

8. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

That's a bit harsh Mowingman. On what are you basing that opinion?

9. Fine Lines Lawn

I agree Richard. I've seen this new machine, but haven't mowed with one yet. It works like it would do everything a belt driven walk behind is supposed to do.

10. Fine Lines Lawn

That is true Pumper. Dixie Chopper is trying to have all types of mowers available for their customers who have different equipment needs.