1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

red hawk mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by infocus88, Jul 18, 2006.

1. infocus88

infocus88 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have experience with these mowers? I am lloking to buy a 36" wb and these seem to be about a $1,000 less than a scag or simular mower. thanks in advance.
  2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite!
    I do not recommend red hawk mowers for many reasons if you would like you can do a search on why many of us on here feel the same way. The search feature is up towards the top.
    In the long run you will save a ton of money by buying the more expensive mower. Down time and parts will eat your money fast if you don't have a quality mower. By the way red hawks are made in China. Scags are good American made mowers. Good Luck in your mower purchase!
  3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the BS you hear about the Red hawk mowers are from people that have no experience with them and have never owned one.

I do have a 48" Red Hawk with an 18 HP Kohler engine. I use it for certain applications where I need a walk behind. I will buy another one late this year or next for other needed walk behind scenarios.

The mower works great, gives a very nice cut and has been vitually trouble free. I did have a belt problem that was handled by my dealer very quickly. They do have good dealer and parts support which is very important to me.

Good luck!
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Looked into a Quick 36 Super Duty or Samurai yet?

Try searching.... you will find loads of info.

Not saying the Red Hawk won't cut grass; but you can buy a better product from a better country.
  5. Gatewayuser

How many lawns do you mow with it?
    Try using it as your primary only mower and see what happens!
  6. ThirdDay

The Quick 36 is a very nice mower. The only problem I have with it is that it does not have turning brakes like a regular commercial walk behind. At the end of each row you have to man handle it to turn and that gets old and tired day after day.
  7. ThirdDay

My Red hawk gets used about 8 to 10 times a week on lawns that I can't use my riders. It has held up very well over the 2 years that I have had it.

Of course I would never use it as my "primary" mower. I wouldn't use ANY walk behind as my "primary" mower. They are not efficient enough!
  8. Gatewayuser

Your right they have there place in the arsenal. But I still would Not buy a red hawk.
  9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bottom line, why buy a mower made in china?
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

My thoughts exactly.