1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red hot muffler.....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Fatch, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Fatch

Fatch LawnSite Member

Just noticed my new Dixie Chopper XG2703-60 that has only 13 hrs. has a red glowing muffler, just noticed tonight after I got done cutting yard about 10:00pm . This is not just a little section of the exhaust but the whole entire muffler. Just wondering if this has occured to anyone else with new mower or if any adjustments are needed to fuel enrichment ??? Kinda makes me nervous to run this mower like this.
  2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude...Take a Pic...Thats awesome...

I don't know how to fix it, but...It does sound kinda dangerous. I'd hate to hit my leg on it...
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't believe there is anything wrong with your unit, EPA has been cracking down on the small engine OEM's the last few years to reduce emissions by leaning their engines. This engine has a fixed high speed jet with if any only a low speed adjustment. I believe the only reason you seen this is because you were mowing after dark, It most likely wouldn't show during daylight hours.
  4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

I agree with Rob on this one too.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob I dont think it should glow that red even at night?
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

My dad has an old (from the 60's) Cub Cadet tractor with the 12 HP Kohler. The muffler gets cherry red everytime we use it, especially under a heavy load like snowblowing. It has been doing this for over 30 years now and it hasn't harmed it yet.

P.S. You only notice it at night. In the daylight, it looks normal.
  7. ChadsLawn

This is a reply from another forum I posted this at. because its home of the DC.

My kohlers do the same thing, i wouldnt worry about it.Just make sure you keep the air fins clean on the engine,and let it cool by running it mid rpms with no load for 30 seconds to a minute after its been working hard, before shutting down.
    My one steiner runs a steady flame out the muffler,at 5am this time if yr,you can see it real good.That engines got over 1500 hrs on it,and its like new yet.

So I guess its normal. Ive never seen mine glow red. Guess Ill try it at night and see.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

And you go and second guess my reply :nono:

It depends on the style and design of muffler also, Dixie just this past year came out with a new style muffler and it would be seen much better than the old style.

Now Chad, Direct ALL your mower problems to me.....Buddy, I will fix you right up. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. ChadsLawn

sniffle sniffle Sorry Rob. I have a 22 kohler I just let it run fo 15 minutes in the dark and mine didnt turn red. like you said it depends on the engine. Ill never doubt you again :hammerhead:
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 15hp single cylinder Kohler with pillow muffler - it never turns red. However, I have an 8hp B & S side valve engine on a debris blower. When it runs in the dark, the muffler is cherry red. The color is only visible when running WOT, but leaves very quickly after throttling back.

The Kohler never runs red in the dark.

Obviously, the temps are the same, dark or light, but the darkness just enables the color to be visible.

I never though twice about it because of what I used to see on farm tractors. Most of the ones I knew in early 50s were 4 cylinder, gasoline engines. Under pulling load, the exhaust manifold and the lower portion of the exhaust pipe (never ran mufflers, only straight vertical pipe) would be cherry red. But, just like my blower, the color would disappear very quickly after changing the load and throttle.