Red Hot Muffler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by youcallwemow, May 18, 2007.

1. youcallwemow

youcallwemow LawnSite Member

Has Anyone Ever Mowed After Dark? Just last evening, while mowing a cemetery, I noticed the red glow following my Dixie Chopper. I knew there was not a red light indicator of any kind on the mower, so was mystified as to the cherry red light. I was about an acre away from my daughter, who was operating the mower, and approached the mower to see what the light was, and saw the muffler, the exhaust hole all glowing a dull cherry red. Is this typical of air cooled mower exhaust to look like this after dark. I'm a beginner to after dark mowing....educate me....also, I need advice about installing lights on the DC. Any advice would be appreciated. Bruce

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that is normal as the engine exhaust port is so close to the muffler and muffler metal is so thin. My neighbor mows at night...I always laugh at him...especially when he hits a stop or a rock!!

3. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

Another thing, too...These engines run so lean now by design to heat up the exhaust system to burn anything that bypasses the actual combustion.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

So you have your daughter mowing a cemetery in the dark? A bit dangerous don't you think?

5. youcallwemow

youcallwemow LawnSite Member

it wasn't totally dark, but enough to see the glowing exhaust. As to being dangerous, well she is in drivers ed at High School...that is probably more dangerous

6. slowpoe

slowpoe LawnSite Member

I do fall leaf clean ups in the dark alot & my 26HP FI Walker exaust tubes & some of the muffler its self glow orange hot & if you get any leaves on it you have an instant fire to warm your hands:hammerhead:

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i hear you on that one slowpoe when i was scalping some grass fell on my muffler and instant fire

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're cutting in the dark, depending on the conditions, you get surprised at the amount of sparks that end up coming out the discharge chute, also.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We use our Walker for leaf cleanups and after noticing the nice red glow I switched to synthetic oil. It doesn't appear to get as hot anymore. It still gets red but only if we are really working it hard.