Red Max 7001 problems.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lawn Cops, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

Need yals help on a fuel problem with my 7001.

While running it runs great for about 5 to 10 minutes then acts like it is starving for fuel and will eventually die. I suffered through this for a little while and discovered that there was a lot of air in the primer bulb. I then changed the intake fuel line and put a new filter on the line. Well the same thing is happening but I now notice that I can see air bubbles in the intake fuel line even with a full tank when I prime it with the bulb. So i cahnge the line again and still have the problem. This is driving me nuts. Have any of you experienced this problem and what do you suggest?

Thanks

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the vent on the fuel cap is not working properly. Don't worry about the bubbles in the fuel line, this is normal. Buy a new fuel cap and I'll bet the problem goes away.

I have a few other suspicions but I have to know how old/how many hours are on the unit.

3. Lawn Cops

Thanks, I did not think about that but I will buy a new one Monday morning. The unit is approx 15 months old and has approx 100 hours +/- on it.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I was thinking it could also be a clogged exhaust port or spark arrestor screen or a bad or poorly gapped spark plug or a bad fuel filter. But as long as you are using good gas and mixing it right you should not have any problems with so few hours on it. Good luck

5. Lawn Cops

Well today it is getting worse....It now runs good for about 3-4 minutes and then it starts to loose rpms then dies. I checked the fuel cap vent and it does not appear to be clogged. I think the key to the proble, is that each time I stop it or it dies I pump the prime ball and then it runs good for the next 3-4 minutes. I am perplexed by this one. Oh by the way I have also replaced the fuel filter each time I replaced the fuel line.

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

When I bought mine, the dealer told me that it had a two year warranty. He knows that I work commercially so I dont think he was confused about it being for residential use. With only 15 months on it , my advice is to take it back to your dealer. It wont be long and you'll have thown enough money away on various parts to have done this in the first place. Hope it gets fixed without too much more of a dent in your wallet.

P.S. does sound like the cap is not venting properly.

7. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

To find out if it the cap, when it starts to bog down , unscrew the cap to let it get air. If it picks back up, yur in luck, its the cap. If not, While its bogging, pump the primer bulb. If it picks up, you have either a restriction in the fuel filter, line or in the carb. Could be that the fuel pump part of the carb isnt sucking enough fuel. get a kit and replace all the lil parts. Inside you will find what I call a last chance filter screen. Very very fine screen. You should get one in the carb kit. If not, spray it out with a good amount of carb cleaner. Reassemble and see what happens. Post back when it gets fixed so we know the outcome.

8. Lawn Cops

Well I ended up putting it in the shop yesterday and they said they had no Idea what was going on.....As far as the cap I loosened the cap while it was having the problem and it did not make any difference. I did pump the primer bulb and it would immediately die....I could not figure it out and that is my primary blower so I had to get it fixed. I will let yal know what it was in a day or two when i get it back.

9. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

I just started to have the same problems with my Stihl BR400 and BR420's. I replaced the fuel lines, filters, rebuilt the carbs, new plugs and I still had the same problem. I re-adjusted the carbs just a little and they run perfect now. Try adjusting your carb.

Josh

10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you can adjust carb on Redmax. First clean carb., airfilter, fuel filter, and muffler. Muffler may have deposits on the screen where discharges, I usually just take them out. I had this problem and it was the bearings on the crank where piston rod connects. One of the bearings came loose and caused this prob and dealer fixed it and ran good (was under warranty, only had 50 Hrs)