1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Max 8000

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnspecialties, Apr 1, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Today my Red Max was running pretty poorly, again. This has happened several times before and with other Red Max's as well. It runs like the choke is partly on or something. Maybe gets up to about 1/2 to 3/4 rpm's at most.

Spark plug "looks" good. Air filter is clean as a pin but I pulled it off and ran it just in case; no difference. Pulled the fuel filter off and ran it; no difference. No kinks in the fuel line or anything I can tell. What's even more curious is probably Monday, it will run like a champ. I've had 7000's and 8000's do this from time to time. The 4000's have never been a problem in the past. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.
  2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

possibly clean the carb out, and see if that helps any, if that doesnt help, remove the spark screen, clean out the exhaust ports of carbon, and try it then.
  3. lawnspecialties

It's a five month old blower but I'll still try cleaning the carb. Thanks. Every blower I purchase, the spark arrestor comes out first thing.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

This happened on mine before, turned out that the black fuel line would get hot and really supple in the sun and would allow that rubber grommet to squeeze it until no fuel. Replaced with new fuel line and runs like a champ so far.
  5. lawnspecialties

It definitely has been mostly a summer problem. Yesterday was hot and the trailer was sitting in direct sunlight. Thanks a million, maniac. I'll be checking that out.:dancing:
  6. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been battling this for the past couple years. Is it just on start up? After 2-3 mins of operation does it finally get to full RPM? I thought that I solved our problem by just leaving them in the bed, but the past few days it's been in the upper 80's and it still acts up every once in a while. If I put it in the trailer on a 85-90 degree day it might make it to half RPM.
  7. lawnspecialties

No, it doesn't do it just on start up. It does it just when it's hot outside. It almost seems like the hotter it is, the lower the rpm's I can achieve. :confused:

Definitely not a gasoline problem. Not pressure in the tank, either. I unscrew the cap, put it back on, and it still does it right at start up before any pressure could possibly build.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Seems to have fixed mine so far. Was running full rpm's like it should...did you try replacing that line and still no go?

What mine would do is get close to full rpms then BRRRVVVVT type sound and slow down, actually died once...that black rubber gets hot reall quick.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I believe this is a carb problem.....does it have an adjustment for changing the amount of gas into the unit? I am guessing REdmax don't have one, Echo discovered that they had to put an adjustment back on theirs. We bought a carb with adjustment for a 3 year old unit and it practically made things better. I would take the unit back!!
  10. Grass Dad

Grass Dad LawnSite Member

I've had a similar problem on my 8000 as well.