1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Max Question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terry Somers, May 29, 2003.

1. Terry Somers

Terry Somers LawnSite Member

I have an old Red Max. BC220DL is the model #. It has an auto feed head on it. What dia. line should I use? Should I switch to a bump feed head instead? Thanks.
  2. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use those Redmax's and still have one running and a few skeletons out in the garage. Not sure which autohead your running but I was always pleased with the design and operation of the autohead. We always used .095 line as it provided good wear and could still hold a fair amount on the spool. We tried using the .105 and that ended up in having the guys break the thin edge along the string holders, and they would then play hell trying to get the spool seated while getting the string thru the eyelets.

Only switched to Stihls because my dealer did and did go with the bump head on them. Personally I still think the autohead worked best appearance wise as you dont have the round divots in the lawn from where someone lets the string out. But the bump head definately holds alot more string on the spool.

Good luck
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i like to use the bump feed lines not the autofeeds

use the .095 dia line
    crossfire works best