1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Max Strato Charged Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', Jul 28, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Is there anything special about them that makes them better than the rest?
  2. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

my rep in nashvile(tieco) told me they wuold save as much as 150.00 in fuel. all i have heard is hearsay which was all good..but i run all stihl.
  3. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

The strato charged engines do save fuel BUT.....

They are heavier than the older units and they produce less horsepower than older units as well...

example...a new 25 cc strato charged engine produces about as much horsepower as the old 22 cc units....

Is this progress???

This information is direct from RedMax by the way
  4. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i bought one last year, ive had no problems with it, i think it works just as good as th eolder ones.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only one strato unit. I will admit that it saves on fuel, but I prefer my non-strato units. Unless you're in CA, or another state mandating these units, I say pass 'em by. Just MHO.
  6. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

I have one strato unit, and hate it,, will never buy one again. Getting plugs for it is a pain, most dealers around here dont carry them, and they are expensive. and it just never seemed to have balls.
  7. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

Red Max introduced the Strato charged technology years ago. Since then they have changed the engines considerably. The old engines were reed valved where the new strato are piston ported. The weight on the old Bc225 was 10 lbs, the weight on the new Bc2400 is 10.8 lbs. The Bc225 was a 22.5cc unit and the Bc2400 is 24.6cc. You can really feel the difference between the new units and the old. Strato engines use about 30% less fuel. It is not only the cost of the fuel, but also the amount of time spent while refueling. These units are performing very well in the field and are fast becoming an industry favorite. P.S. I have banned my over zealous son from this site. I feel that he sometimes gets caught up in the compeditive nature of scapers and reps on this site. Good luck and have a great year.
  8. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Buba, glad to see you know your trimmers. You are correct. The new Strato's are more powerful than the old reed valve strato layered units. There is a big difference if you use them both together. Also, the nice thing is, in a few years when everyone has to carry around a 4 stroke or a one mix (4 stroke components in a two stroke engine) Redmax will still have a standard 2 stroke (stratocharged) that weighs less, conserves fuel, and doesn't have all the moving parts to wear out like a 4 stroke or one mix unit, and it's done without a catalytic converter! As for Grass Master, where did you get your power information? from Redmax? (brochures, etc.?) Have you tried the new ones? They are sweet!
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Brand new Redmax Strato-charged harder to start than older Redmax
    I just bought a set of short-reach hedge trimmers with the Pro GZ25N engine. Same as a weed wacker just a shorter shaft.

It runs well but starts only on the second pull, third or fourth if it is cold.

I have a bunch of older Redmax trimmers. Some are old as dirt and start on the first pull.

My favorites are the BC2601DL, they have the Zenoah G26L, super strong first pull starters. I bought a few on closeout and are just now assembling them. I will treat them like gold and never sell because they don't make them anymore!!!!

I like the smaller profile of the older engine, too, takes up less space inside my lockable toolboxes.

Anyway, thank you EPA for creating another hassle.

Odly enough, now that Redmax has quit using the G26L, it has appeared as a "hot new item" as the G-260 in the Zenoah line of radio contol airplane engine, where the old G23L has been sold for years and years as the G-23 and is also the predominant go-ped engine.

I don't think the airplane crowd will ever appreciate that plump strato-charged engine.

Report this