Red Max Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MWHC, Apr 1, 2008.

1. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I have a RedMax Trimmer BCZ2500S. Was running poorly so I rebuilt the carb. Now she will idle, but when I give it some gas without the choke it dies instantly. Any ideas?

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Check the exhaust port and muffler?

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

did you change the fuel filter. its often overlooked and one of the simplest fixes.

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

But with the choke it runs ? Check your fuel line for kinks or leaks. Check or replace fuel filter if it's dirty, take muffler off and clean exhaust port. What was the reason that you rebuilt the carb for ? Lack of power ?

ericg likes this.
  5. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I have cleaned the exhaust ports. I will check the fuel lines and filter. I didn't replace the diaphram when I was in the carb. The shop sent the wrong kit home with me. I am now waiting for the right one.
    The reason I tore the carb apart was that it runs poorly. My experience with RedMax has been less the great. This trimmer will run great for about 15 minutes then it has to rest. It's hard to restart. It probably needs a new owner.

6. yungman

from Calif.

You ever try loosen the gas cap a little when it start to choke or die and try restart again? This is to verify the return and no vacuum create in the tank.

7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

MWHC, sorry you're having a problem; no offense and nothing personal, but I gotta vent on "repair" issues and people in general.

I was in the automotive business for many years, and now an LCO for several years, and it's the same: "If the engine don't work, put a cob-a-raytor kit in it!"

In this case, (1) improper [if any] diagnosis of the problem (2) wrong kit, (3) doesn't replace the fuel filter !!, but "Redmax is no good !!"

LOL, I luv it! Sorry again, MWHC, I've seen & heard many do the same, that's all.

It ain't always the carburetor.

8. yungman

from Calif.

Remember this is lawn care forum here, not auto!! Ofcourse you need a lot more knowledge to work on auto. that is the reason why auto mechanic earn a lot more too. They need to be a lot more knowledgable. In this kind of small engine stuff, you can count all the major components with two hands. So if it is not the carb, it is the exhaust, if it is not the exhaust, it is the engine.....If it is not the engine, then the stuff just hate you!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Kidding aside, These stuff is so simple that you can just learn along the way, making mistake and learn. Just give people a chance to learn and be supportive. I am learning by buying old engine on ebay, take it apart and learn. It is fun.....not rocket science.....just fun.:waving::waving:

9. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

My experience with RedMax has been less the great. This trimmer will run great for about 15 minutes then it has to rest. It's hard to restart. It probably needs a new owner.[/QUOTE]

this is my same experience with redmax weedeaters. it needs a new carb and by mid summer it will acting up again. i took mine back to the dealer and just left it there, that was last summer. however, i have a redmax chainsaw and a eb7001 blower that have been great. you could not give me any redmax weedeater. sucks too, because my dealer would do anything for me, but i just cannot count on his brand of weedeater......

10. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Here is an update / response.
    Maybe 20 years experience with this type of equipment entitles me to give a valid opinion on equipment quality. ie the last two Pieces of RedMax equipment i have purchased run like crap.
    I replaced the diaphram and pump in the carb. It ran top notch for the 2 minute test. I still bet it craps out after 15 minutes under load but thats a different story.
    No offense or nothing personal; but it must have been the right diagnosis Tider, because I didn't fool with the filter or fuel lines.