Red Max Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jefft, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Jefft

Jefft LawnSite Member

Anyone have any information on Red Max trimmers?? I have a dealer here trying to sell me on them.. I currently use the Stihl FS 85..

:blob2:

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Very reliable trimmers! I still have "Betsy" my 1996 model & she still runs strong. Only "major repairs" were 1 drive shaft, 1 hub, 1 carb & 1 head. She still runs strong. I currently run the 2500 models I think. Started w/ the old 2300's. I do NOT care for their strato charged trimmer though. It is good on gas - just don't like the set-up.

The komatsu zenoah engines run great and the units are comparable to the shindawas. Good luck.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have 8 year old Redmax trimmers still in use every day.

And I have their hedge trimmers, EB7001's and handheld blowers.

Have had very few problems. Never did an engine fail to start on a Redmax.

Light and powerful, too.

IF you can find a good used one, I would go for it. I don't like the new Strato-Charged stuff either. It's clunkier.

KB

4. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

We use 2300's and stratocharged 2400 and 2500's at work.

i personally use a BCZ2400. Just got it a couple months ago and love it.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the wacker, in my opinion, is a bit on the heavy side. just bought mine a few months ago, seems very "tempermental" (spelling, i know) as far as gas mix is concerned. ive fouled 2 plugs, and clogged the exhaust from the mix being only slightly off. the mix didnt effect any of the other equipment.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Three years on my Redmax, no problems, never fouled plugs or had any starting problems. In fact, I have yet to change the original plug. Same mixture goes in Echo and Tanaka trimmers as well. Of the three trimmers we have, they all seem fine. Hard to say which I really prefer. They all do the job I want and do it well.

7. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I love them. They are so smooooooth. No vibrations.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For best preventative manitenance, remove the muffler & plug 1-2 times per season, make sure piston is up, spray carb cleaner into exhaust port, let sit a couple of mins, then gently scrape out carbon w/ small screwdriver - but don't scratch piston. Then pull cord to lower piston & flush again w/ carb cleaner from plug side toward exhaust. Finally blow out remaining carb cleaner & debris w/ compressed air. Replace plug, rebuild unit. The machine will last a loooooooooooong time!!

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have switch from Stihl to Red Max will never go back to Stihl.

10. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

ive been using redmax stuff for over 10 years i think they are great machines, i dont think u will be disapointed at all.

dsc01797.jpg