RED MAX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dennis, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have a redmax BP blower, bought this year in april.
    I have not seen a post with my particular prob. hope someone can help.
    While I am using it usually at full speed, when I touch the speed control to adj. I get shocked, sometimes very small sometimes it hurts bad mommy.
    I am sure it's from static but don't know what to do.
    Any Ideas??

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Does it have the ground wire running from the engine to the tube like the Shindaiwa?

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

That happens to me all the time too. I just live with it, I guess you could wear a pair of gloves or something though.

4. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Keith
    To be honest I have failed to check the ground..(duh)
    And I am a mechanical engineer.
    But I heard of a rocket scientist in Fl. that couldn't fill out a voting form.
    But back to the prob. did you have a reason for asking about the ground?
    thanks for the help so far

5. Keith

Disregard my first post, that shouldn't affect it. On second thought you may be touching something that is directly connected to the kill switch. Try taking the control apart and use electrical tape to isolate the switch. In other words cover the metal contacts.

6. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

OK that sounds like a good place to start.
    Thanks

7. Keith

Real quick though...were talking about a 6200 series? The controls are left handed?

Does it feel like a static shock or is a constant pulse?

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a Redmax 6200 that gives me a mild shock. Usually when I wear cotton gloves.

9. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Keith your first comment was right on. I have a Shindaiwa eb630. When I first bought it they had forgotten to put the grounding wires on it and whenever you touched the speed controls it would shock you pretty bad. Since they installed the grounding wires (one going to the speed control and one attaching to the blower tube) it has not shocked me one time. One other note, I noticed that before having it fixed it usually shocked the worse when ever you had a cloud of dust stirred up. I think the static charge was building up from the dust particles.

Dennis do you still work as an engineer? I am also a mechanical engineer, but I know operate a lanscape and irrigation company full time.

Jay

10. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Keith
    Yes it is a 6200 with lefthand controls

Jay
    Yes still work FT for Zipper manuf.

I will check the ground this weekend
    Thanks for the replys