Red Mold??? Never seen red grass before, help!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by shovelracer, Jun 5, 2006.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I have a devolopment that is under my care. The clients are starting to show red spots all over the lawns. It started a few weeks ago on one yard and is quickly spreading. From a distance it looks like grub damage. Yellow spots here and there. When you get up close the patches are red or orange. Some have these chunks of what looks like mold. It is sticky to the touch. I remember someone mentioning red mold in my pesticide class years ago, but don't remember anything about it. What is this, how do I stop/treat it???

grass 001.jpg

grass 002.jpg

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If that is red thread....which I think it is.......that is can be cured by some extra fertilizer with slow release nitrogen.....you may have to do it few times every 2 weeks. That will grow it out.......

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

has the weather there been exceptionally wet? I believe that to be red slime mold which like wet conditions. regular mowing will break up and disperse the mold.

4. shovelracer

Yes it has been pretty wet plus they are over sprinkler's. The main areas are red thread based on what I've read. I'm not sure about the chunks of moldy looking red stuff.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Yep. Thats red-thread. Happens every Spring. Word of caution, it is very easy to spread to other lawns, clean out deck thoroughy (a little rubbing alcohol wouldnt hurt either). If your SD or mulching that particular lawn, you may want to consider bagging until symptoms are clear.

6. shovelracer

Thanks guys