red mulch stained concrete

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Anthony-MB, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I was spreading red mulch for customer, now there are red stains on concrete walkway and driveway.

I tried to wash off, but made things worst, spread red stain instead.

So my question is how do I remove the red stains???????

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You can keep hosing it off, or just let it be. It will naturally fade and wash away in a few weeks.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a bad experience with it also. Not with concrete but a real mess. My wife manages a 130 unit apart. complex and a has a slight grade going out back door 50' thru yard. Her corp. office had the domb ass idea to have me cut a a side walk area to parking lot and fill with red mulch. Okey im in business to make $ so i took my bobcat and made a single cut as told. Started at top adding red mulch got almost half way down and it started to rain. The parking lot from the run off looked like Charles Manson did his number on a few people ( yes a river of blood ). Well next day i got paid again to remove mulch and put in crushed stone for a sidewalk.
    Mike

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try Simple Green..cleaner.....and a stiff scrub brush or stiff broom

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Can you say concrete paint??

6. I was in the wood bus for 23 years. In most cases you are putting down hogged up pallets and other urban wood waste. the wood is old and the resins in the wood won't allow any stains to hold to it. some of the stains used will however stick to any clean surface. these same dyes are used in concrete colors. At First Class Grass we just say no to any customer that asks about this stuff.

Jimmy in Montana

7. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I still have dyes from the "java brown" cedar on my driveway after 8 months. Good luck.

8. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

If simple green won't do it (haven't had many jobs that it won't) get some sulfuric acid (sold as muratic acid, driveway cleaner, some other names), a stiff push broom and protective waders, gloves, and goggles. Put the acid down and scrub at the stain. Use a pressure washer to clean the acid off and your done. Shoulden't take more than an hour start to finish, and if the customer is really upset about the drive way offer to split the cost to do the whole driveway depending on how big it is.

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

How good (or not) is this stuff for the grass alongside the driveway?? I can recall being splashburned more than once putting it into our pool when I was a kid.

10. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Ive never had a problem useing it, but I've only done small areas and really soaked the area to dilute it when I was done. It's a last resort when simple green just isen't enough.