1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Rust?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by r.eckley, Oct 6, 2008.

1. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

After mowing two ballfields at school this morn. my mower had a red dust all over it. I have had a black dust before but never red. Just wondered if any can tell me what it is?
  2. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

been there, done that. i'm told it's "rust fungus". my experience is the color is more of a burnt orange...for whatever that's worth.

also, what type of grass are you mowing??? rye? kbg? fescue?
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ive noticed it here too, at least a few weeks ago up till this last week. My Grasshopper is brown/tan but the front of the deck and casters were rust red! Oddly the yellow Walker dosn't pick it up. Must be only certian lawns it was on.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I know I already posted, but after looking at the other thread I noticed something... When I was getting the "rust" on the front of the mower, I didn't notice the grass having the rust on it. Maybe it was in a small enough quanity that I couldn't see it. Either that or I wasn't paying attention. :p
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Could've been a certain type of mushroom.
  7. It could have been a cheleated iron treatment. The powdered kind is a little cheaper than the peletized iron.