Red substance on top of dirt...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BOSKO, May 14, 2004.

1. BOSKO

BOSKO LawnSite Member

I have a red, almost powdery looking substance on the edge of my lawn on the topsoil. It is kind of a bright red. When I dig into it there are 1000's of little bugs that almost look like fleas, but I don't think they are.
    Does anyone have any idea what this is, and if it is bad, how to get rid of it?

2. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Are the "fleas" actually red in color? Try researching clover mites and see if these are the problem. Let me know if this helps.
  3. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

Bosko...the little red things could be Clover Mites, will not cause any damage. Dont worry about them
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As old as this topic is, I decided to bring this back up as I recently ran into this situation to do with clover mites... And upon doing a search on lawnsite for clover mites, this was the result but yet there exists no solution to this problem. Although the problem is not recurring in an annual sense (thou it can be), it is a problem which most of us deal with at least once in a lifetime as it likes to come around every so often.

The first thing I found useful is this University of Ohio fact sheet:

The product used to treat the little pests is called Talstar and comes in pint, quart, and gallon sizes. Since this product comes as a concentrated chemical, it can be applied either via a water-hose driven applicator, or a sprayer, at an average dilution of 1 ounce per 1000 square feet, while a mix of between 1/2 ounce to a full ounce per gallon of water is sufficient for sprayer-based applications.

The product is not cheap, ranging from 40 to 160 dollars depending on size of bottle, but unless one plans on using this product everyday in a commercial sense, the smallest pint bottle (40-45 dollars) should be enough to last several years (5-10) for the average homeowner, while a quart is recommended for part-time applicators planning on servicing around a dozen or so yards / year, the gallon-size truly is reserved for full-time applications requiring an output of 50-60 yards / year.

The product can be purchased online, but I found it local by checking around landscape supply stores for about the same price minus shipping, it's all about the same in the end thou I still prefer local pick-ups myself as I am an avid yard fanatic making frequent purchases, at least some of which require immediate solutions.
    For those needing further information, talstar can be found here:

Hope that helps.
  5. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Here we go again.....more homeowners out there trying to use Talstar.

Topsites, I don't mean to be rude, but people like you drag our entire industry down. With all the people out there screaming about LCO's "poisoning" our earth with "toxic chemicals," do you really think it helps to be encouraging people with absolutely no traning whatsoever to try and get their hands on Talstar? Talstar of all things??

If a homeowner without any kind of license or registration for pesticides needs Talstar, he or she is better off to simply get a trained professional to treat the lawn. Yes, this particular forum is for Homeowner Assistance, but let's try and give out responsible advice here. If we were talking about a low-concentrate granular bifenthrin, such as found in Scotts Summerguard, for example, that would be one thing. But liquid concentrate??
  6. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

In some States Talstar is a restricted product. In others it is not.

Granted, the general public isn't always the "brightest bulb in the box", but some homeowners actually have a restricted pesticide number with which to by these types of chemicals.

As long as they read and follow lable directions, there's not a problem. This isn't Meythlbromide we're talking about here.

La. Landscape Contractor #2576