Red Thread help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GripB, Jun 13, 2004.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Will Red Thread grow itself out with some extra nitrogen or must a fungicide be applied?

p.s. - I applied Lesco granular 21-0-12 w/Momentum 5/25/04

2. neal-wolbertsinc

neal-wolbertsinc LawnSite Member

The first step is to fertilize to stimulate new growth in infected areas, that usually turns things around in a week or 10 days. Don't let the nitrogen level get too low and you shouldn't have the problem again. Sometimes sudden swings in weather, like long dry spells followed by wet conditions, will trigger Red Thread even with adequate nitrogen levels. In that case, a fungicide application(s) may be the best choice. Not sure if a homeowner can buy effective fungicides though. Best to hire a pro with knowledge and a guaranteed program. Neal

3. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Neal,
    Thanks for the help! Question...What's the minimum amount of time between fertilizer applications? I fertilized 5/25/04.
    Greg

4. neal-wolbertsinc

Greg, Not knowing the amount of product you applied or the square footage it's hard to say. Typically 1# actual nitrogen 1000/ sq ft(about 5# 21-0-12) will last anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks depending on the type of nitrogen (coated...soluble...etc.) and weather conditions and irrigation schedule. You could use color as your guide re-applying when the green starts to fade a bit. Since you are doing your own work, frequent low rate apps. might be the best choice. You might try 2-3# 1000/ sq ft of the 21-0-12 every 2-4 weeks to keep steady the growth necessary for Red Thread recovery. Does the Lesco fert. have some slow release nitrogen? I'm not familiar with it. Neal

5. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Does the Lesco fert. have some slow release nitrogen? I'm not familiar with it. Neal

Neal,
    Try the link below...there is a label PDF file at the top right of the page that shows the back of the bag. Hope this works.
    Thanks again for your help!!

http://www.lesco.com/default.aspx?PageID=27&ItemNumber=069141#

Greg

6. neal-wolbertsinc

Greg, The 21-0-12 has about 15% coated urea so you might get a bit more than 3 weeks from 3# 1000/sq ft app., but not really sure., since it's not sold or used in Wash. I'd still use the color as the indicator of when to apply. You'll get it right, I can tell you're pretty determined. You shouldn't need to use this product more than twice unless you get poor weed control. If weeds are under control look for a fertilizer with higher % of slow release N (50%) maybe. It will last longer and stretch the timing between apps. quite a bit. Neal

7. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Neal,
    Thanks for the help/advice.
    p.s. - Nice web site.