1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

red thread in feb?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Feb 1, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've seen it on a few lawns here and there is snow on the ground. can anyone explain this to me? how are the lawns lacking nitrogen when they haven't really been using up any nutrients in the past couple months. or am i way off here?
  2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Had some on a few lawns in late december early jan. Up until now here in jersey it's been warm especially november and Dec. can't help you but rest assured you're not alone.
  3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Do a google search on "pink snow mold" I'm pretty sure that's what you're dealing with, esp. with damp, wet weather, above freezing temps., cloud cover, lack of snow cover... shall I continue?
  4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, probably pink snow mold. We have touble with both (snow mold and red thread) in Erie, and as mentioned in the above post, at this time of the year you're probably seeing snow mold.
  5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

sure doesn't look like the pics i've seen of pink snow mold, but i've never dealt with it before.

the snow has only been on the grass for a week and it was only about 2 inches maybe in some parts. thanks for the advice.

it really looks like red thread compared to pink snow mold, but i'll research more.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

We have had the grass growing this past December here. I cut a lawn listening to Christmas carols.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We always have red thread in february this year is an odd occasion in that we had 4 inches of snow a month ago and it still hasn't melted in a few places. Snow mold is rampent in those areas.
    Plan of action is to ignore it till mid feb when we get a good warm spell and fert and start mowing for the year weekly.
    Break is almost over. oh well it was nice while it lasted.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen red thread in cold weather. Red thread occurs in spots, tiny red fibers on the leaf blade cut end. Snow mold usually seen in spring--areas more than spots. Worse where snow was deepest.
    6 inches snow here--17 degrees--predicted to go below zero.