Red thread rampage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Jun 7, 2003.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

With all this rain and damp weather, I have a few lawns that have quite a bit of red thread. anybody else have some lawns that have red thread running rampant?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

whats red thread?????????????????????????????????????

3. mdb landscaping

its a disease that becomes present during extended periods of moisture. it usually doesnt harm the grass plant except in severe cases, but it just tends to look ugly with little pink patches everywhere.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Matt
    My Mothers lawn Has It for the first time, What Can I Use thats over the counter.
    John.

5. mdb landscaping

from all the books and knowledge ive gained from school, it looks like the best way to get rid of it is to just hit the lawn with a good shot of nitrogen fertilizer(as if the lawns werent growing fast enough as it is:) ). As warmer drier weather gets here, it should die out on its own.

6. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, several of our props are running into major red thread problems. for big props, hit it w/ high amounts of N and be prepared to mow.

small props, best thing is to rake out the bad spots, fill in w/ topdressing and seed it.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We're seeing like never before...and on almost every lawn. Customers are freaking out over it.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thank You Matt & Lawnsmith
    I'll Do It tomorrow.

9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Red thread can and will be passed from property to property!!!!! We had this exact problem and know when its present (red thread) we carry a bottle of amonia and water and spray down tires and under side of deck if needed, It almost stopped instantly (the spreading) from propert to property. We talked to our fertizer company and they said this is what alot of the landscapers are doing to prevent the spread and it works.

10. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

you sound like the same type of guy that sprays down his golf spikes as to not spread poa from course to course, lol.