Red Threads here again!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, May 15, 2002.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The weather has been perfect here in So CT & metro New York for our first bout of "homeowner visible" turf disease & it's what else? Red Thread. It started late last week & is really kicking out there right now. Guys who cut won't fertilize any time soon after all those clippings we had earlier, so some of those lawns will look pretty pathetic very soon.

Fungicides now will do nothing more than check the spread. The turf won't look right again until the entire canopy has been regrown. This could take a while even under good fertility.

Mowing 1/4"-1/2" higher would help to "hide" the blighted areas. But this is cosmetic cover for the picture window view.

Anyone else seeing it yet? If so, what are your plans?

Steve

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Saw it today but not real active, very limited. Plan on doing nothing as they weather is going to be a little warmer and drier for a few days. Just sit back and monitor.

3. tremor

I'm not that brave with rain forecasted for Fri, Sat, Sun, & Mon.
    Tomorrow AM before I hit the road. Touche+ either Banner Maxx or Eagle (whichever is closest to the front of the shelf) with my usual Primo & Iron.

Most of my own lawn is Perennial Ryegrass with some Bentgrass contamination in one area & you want to try & grow RT out of it! No way, not this year!

Good point about the drier weather but it's not gonna last long I don't think.

Steve

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

The only treatment I've found effective is granular Bayleton. The systemic action seems to last longer than a liquid app. Some Co's like to pump up the nitro, which helps, but also makes the leaf spot go crazy.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Red thread is running rampid here where I am! I would say that at least 20% of my accounts have breakouts of red thread. I applied "cavaleir' as suggested by my local lesco....we will see how that works! I have never seen red thread so bad before!

6. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Its just starting to show up here in Ohio.I'm also just going to watch and see how bad it gets.

7. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Same here with my lawns. Have about ten that have it bad. Early this Spring I applied Lesco's 19-3-6 w/dimension like normal. Still these lawns got Red Thread.

I have been thinking of putting out more nitrogen. What's best to apply now? I can get Lesco stuff the easiest.

Also, if that don't work then I have to spray some kind of fungicide. I am licensed to apply and have a 100 gallon Turbo Turf tank sprayer. No boom though.

What's best to put out in liquid? Banner, Heritage, Daconil?

According to calculations, if I use Daconil, it will take 213 gallons of mixed Daconil to treat 35,000 sq ft. Is this right. I think I have calculated it wrong. Label says 6 gallons treats 167 sq ft, using a 2 oz formula.

Like I said I would like to treat this first with nitrogen and see if conditions and treatment will change the course of this. Then I will spray if necessary.

8. tremor

Indiana,

After 4 or 5 weeks, given enough rain, .75lbs/N would be about spent by now. That said:

Heritage won't control Dollar Spot which is the next most logical disease we may be seeing if it gets warm. And it will so....

The chlorothalinal (daconil, manicure, etc) would be a good choice for a preventive if you still have access to product labeled for residential lawn use. Check the label. But it won't do much for recently affected turf. At any rate, choose the proper rate per 1000 sq ft. Then add that quantity to at least 1 or 2 gallons of water & apply at that volume per 1000 sq ft. 35,000 sq ft treated at 2 gallons per 1000= 70 gallons of spray. Into that would go something like 3.75-7.5 lbs of Ultrex (@ 5-10 lbs per acre).

Personally, I'd combine a contact (lebeled for residential lawns) with a good local penetrant like Bayleton, Banner, or Eagle. They're all Steril Inhibitors. We sell a precombined material called ManHandle (yeah, I know, goofy name) that is Mancozeb & Eagle. Best of both worlds.

Steve

9. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Thanks Steve for your reply.

Would ManHandle do it all? If so, what does it cost and where would I get it?

I know you said you handle this product, are you a distributor?

Let me know and again, thank-you.

David Ott

10. lars

lars LawnSite Member

Red thread and Pink Patch can be managed very easity without fungicides. I would fertilize and get your lawns to an adequate N level. Both are low N diseases. Try a little urea mixed with some slow release stuff to get rid of it. There are many resistant cultivars of perrenial ryegrass as well (Regal, Legacy, Sherwood, Pinncale, Gettysburg, Loretta, and Derby Supreme).

In PA we have had alot of pink patch (little pink fuzz balls appear instead of threads) and we will just add fert instead of spraying.