Red Tip....Whiz Mow???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Bad Bob, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

I posted this in the renovation forum and no replies so I thought I'd post here for a little more coverage. Here goes.

I inherited a, kind of, weird type of mower from my Dad. After he died we cleaned out an old shed he had and there was a mower in there I'd never seen before. It looks like a regular 20" push mower but it has a hook up for a seat section and has a pulley on the deck that apparently powers the wheels on the seat section. It appears to be mostly complete except the engine won't start. Its a Briggs. I plan on working on the engine soon. It has the words Red Tip in raised letters on the cast aluminum deck.
    Does anyone know anything about this unit?
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

pics might help..
    i have never head of anything like this
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea... is there any way you can get some pics up of it? Maybe some different angles of the unit? Doesnt sound to familiar though from what I read.
  4. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

These mowers had magnesium decks and were painted either red or yellow. The company was founded in Hamilton Illinois in around 1954-55. Very few units ever made it out of the midwest................Lynn
  5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

6. BigChevy80

BigChevy80 LawnSite Member

Sorry for the delay in response, I just now found this post on Google.

Your mower is a Whiz-Mow made by the Red-Tip company of Hamilton, IL / Warsaw, IL. My grandfather Jack Laws was neighbors with the founder, Al Knipe. Jack worked for Al for a few years and eventually bought out his half of the company when Al retired.

I'd also be interested in some pictures of your mower.

You can get ahold of me at kimmell AT verizon DOT net

-Tony Kimmell
  7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I found this picture, I remember seeing one of these when I was young.

8. BigChevy80

BigChevy80 LawnSite Member

Yup that's a Whiz-Mow. They were made from 1954 up into the mid 70's. I am trying to get ahold of "Big Bad Bob" but looks like he has no contact info. If anyone could help me out, that would be great.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Too Cool!!!!!! I would love to get one and restore it. I would put it in my living room if my wife would let me.
  10. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Whether it cuts grass or not that is cool! Make it go or find it a good home. My brother still has (and occasionally runs) my grandfather's Wheelhorse we both learned to mow on a very long time ago. Last year his wife bought him the same model Economy tractor we used to do the garden with. Once he finds a little 1952 Oliver and a big, ancient Cockshutt and he'll have the whole set from our youth (and need a bigger shed).

Yours is definitely a keeper.