1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing boots~yes or no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buckhigh, Oct 14, 2013.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I have Two pair. Been wearing for the last 12 years. If you invest in a pair of these boots make sure you purchase any model still made here in the USA. Otherwise Redwing will not resole the lower end China models.
    easy-lift guy
  2. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

I like wolverine. I believe they are owned by red wing. They last me about 4 years but I only wear them when it's cold.
  3. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Red Wing's that are made in USA are awesome boots...have nearly identical pairs look and fit but one is insulated steel toe the other non insulated and no safety toe...they are able to be resoled....if maintained with oil and cleaner these will outlast your career in the lawn care business...
  4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have worn a number of different pairs of boots over the years. Sometimes I have gone on the cheap instead of Red Wings. Sometimes when I get something cheaper they work out well and sometimes bad. EVERY time I've paid the extra money for Red Wings I've been glad that I did.

My $0.02,
  5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I'm going on 1 1/2 years on mine. Hope to get another year maybe more. I have steel toes and the leather is wearing of the steel
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. buckhigh

buckhigh LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys buying the stitched on soles or the glue on? Any noticeable difference in comfort over time? Anyone have any experience between the two as to which one would last longer?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

This is a question that doesn't need much thinking. Glue gets wet and realeses. Stitching you won't have a problem
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

6 months gets it warrantied. 6 months to 1 year, it gets you 50% back towards a new pair. If you're lucky, and you're within 6 months, and there's a price increase in the boots and you want to replace them with the same style, pay the difference in price, keep your records, and your warranty date resets (otherwise it does not).

I had one pair where the steel toe shifted inside the boot and got it warrantied after about 5 months. But otherwise I've been very happy with mine.

As said above, ONLY consider the ones made in the USA. The rest are crap.
  9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I have always used red wing boots and I can get 1.5-2 seasons out of them maybe more. This year I bought a pair of irish setters which red wing makes and I like them better. They are a lot more comfortable for about the same price.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Did you get them at a Red Wing store?