red wire to starter?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by timmac, May 12, 2008.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

The red wire going to my starter on my 05 super z keeps coming off. There is not an easy way to get it back on either. What do I need to do to keep it from coming off any more. thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are 2 wires on the starter correct?
    If I recall you have a 27 Kohler Super Z?
    There should be a red wire and a red and black striped wire.
    Which one is falling off?

Pj

3. timmac

Yes you are correct, 27 kohler, it is the red wire. it keeps slipping off the starter. is it a way to bend the connector so it will be a tight fit? It is in a hard to reach spot to reconnect the wire. I have been reaching up underneath the mower right behind the right rear tire to reconnect the wire. Is there an easier way to get to the starter? you can see where it connects when you pull the seat up but you just can't reach it from the top of the mower. One more question, is there a way to adjust the hydro levers so the mower is not so jerky. thanks pj

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem on my 2760. Replace the female paddle connector with a new one. Also, you can bend the tab on the starter out(horizontal) and you'll have a much easier time of reinstalling the wire.

5. MOWER ACE

MOWER ACE LawnSite Member

replace the terminal on the wire.the original terminal is opened up some ,you can try to close it up but it will keep coming off.just replace it and you'll be good

6. timmac

PJ it is the red and black wire. It came off again yesterday and when I put it back on I bent it a little bit where it connects and I think it fixed it. Find out about the hydro sticks though. Also my mower is leaking alot of oil around the engine. I took it in but the dealer said they couldn't find where it is leaking. It is out of warranty on the 30th of this month and I think it is leaking worse now so will this be covered if he cant find where it is leaking before the 30th? thanks

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to replace the connector on the end of the wire and re-crimp it really good.
    As to the levers... you have a slot you can adjust the dampeners in, if that doesn't take care of it you will likely need new dampeners.

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to have the dealer run it and find out where that leak is.
    if it is worse they should be able to find the leak, they have to do this while its within the warranty period, then again if its a engine oil leak, Kohler would make that call, not Hustler.

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you notice alot of oil around the rear of the machine where the oil drains out?

10. timmac

Not really where it drains out. it's everywhere at the bottom of the engine where it mounts to the mower. Of course a little leak could look like a bad leak though. It also looks like it is leaking close to where the filter is.