1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redhawk 36" hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnpro724, Mar 14, 2009.

1. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have picked up a few new lawns that are to big for my 21" prolines and my 48" Toro walkbehind wont fit. I need to find a decent 36" mower but don't want to spend the money to buy another Toro walk behind just for a couple lawns. I have done my research on Redhawk and it seems they are a decent mower for the money. www.landscaperpro.com has a 36" hydro Redhawk for $2350.00 which seems like a very good deal to me. I have seen the Redhawk mowers up close and they seem built very well. This mower isn't going to see heavy use although it looks like it could handle it but I will leave that to my Toro's. I have pretty well made up my mind to buy one but would like to know how they mulch since I will be mulching the lawns that I will be using this mower for. Thanks for the replies.

and for all you BOP lovers, I'm glad you like your mower but I'm not interested. I would like replies from Redhawk owers or people who have had experience with them.
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd buy a used Toro or Exmark before I would give a dime to the Chinese. Just my .02
  3. lawnpro724

So your going to get rid of your computer, TV, DVD player,pots and pans, plates, almost all of your electronics. Oh I forgot to mention bedding, clothes anything plastic and almost all of your kids toys so many things I couldn't mention them all if I had a year to do so. According to a recent survey only about 20% of the things the average American buys are still made in this country. So unless your willing to do without a lot of things in your life your already buying Chinese. I would love to buy everything American but in this day any age its not possible. I am and have been a Toro loyalist for many years but just can't justify buying another Toro for a couple lawns. You say buy used but I don't want to spend money on repairing someone else s problems. Redhawk mowers are assembled here is the U.S.A but the frames, decks are made in China. They are a very solid mower from the looks of them.
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right. I should have said " I'd buy a used Toro or Exmark before I would give another dime to the Chinese that I didn't have to". I've seen them, they appear to be built fairly well. Still, I would check the ads, craigslist, newspapers, etc. You might just find a really good deal on a used Toro.
  5. lawnpro724

Does anyone mulch with this mower? How does it do?
  6. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

Redhawks, like most of the welded deck wb's don't mulch all that well... If you're doing a lot of mulching, get a machine that's designed to mulch... The Toro's are better. I don't mulch. Also... the redhawk has a large open area in front of the blades. This allows the clippings to disperse all around under the deck. Use gator blades and the clippings shooting out the deck will dissappear in the lawn...
  7. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Why not find a used Scag or Toro or Exmark for 1500ish and call it good.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think they are really built in China. I saw a promotional video one time that showed the plant in China, and they were being assembled there. They probably put the decals on over here, so they can claim they were assembled in the U.S.A.
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you anticipated my input ... congratulations !! But BOP is having a sale right now on the dual drive 36" WB's.
  10. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to find a used, name brand 36" with low hours on it. There's a reason that Redhawks are that cheap.