redhawk mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinggrassiscool, Feb 4, 2006.

1. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

hello.
    i was just at my local dealer and he was telling me about these mowers. ive never heard of them before, but they run kohler or brigs engines and he has been trustworthy to me before, these mowers are really cheap. between 1100 and 1450 depending on deck and engine. i was just wondering if anyone know of these. thanks

2. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

ive seen one and didnt look to good...i mean if ur just cuttin ur lawn and maybe anothoer go for it good price for the size and all but other than that i dont think they are that great

3. cuttinggrassiscool

thanks for the quick input rfed. but may i ask when you say you saw one, what really do you mean. have you ever seen one in use or ran one yourself, i know they are not pretty mowers, but then again some of the best older work trucks were not either. i guess i am trying to see what you mean when you say it doesnt look good, do you mean desighn and ease of maintanace or do you mean more the aesthetics(sp) of the unit? thanks and keep them coming

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Look to me like one of those companies that makes alot of different crappy things. Website= http://www.redhawk-usa.com/products/lawnmowers.jsp . They also make air compressors pressure washers etc. You would be better off with a quick 36 than that pos.

5. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

well i think they are mad cheap...thats all theres a reason they are sold for such cheap dollars...i would spend the money and get somethin a litle better....never ran one...was lookin at one why back when and the sales man told me not to get one if im going to use it for commercial dont get it....

6. cuttinggrassiscool

i didnt think they looked that great eiter, and often their is a reason things are cheap, however sometimes you get lucky and find something that is both cheap and good. i am still hoping that i can find someone who ran one fora couple of years to tell me if it is a pos or a rare gem of cheapness, thanks to thos who replied though

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Mr. Gedd has one he was happy with. You might do a search and find his posts on it.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the machine cut great, it was powerful, and was definitetly cheap enough. the only problems i had with it are: when i picked it up, the deck was set too low. as i was mowing, the bottom of the deck was scraping the turf. brought it back, and had it raised. also, the grips were adjusted to the smallest setting possible, yet were too wide for me to get a comfortable grip on. they were also very stiff. i had them adjusted to the lightest, closest setting possible, and they still weren't acceptible. i used the machine for about 2 weeks, and screwed up my wrists, hands, and forearms to the point that i could barely hold a weedwacker for a couple weeks. i tried to sell it, at a reduced price, it wouldn't sell. apparently these mowers have no resale value, even at a discount, in brand new condition. not for me

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The spindles are very cheesy and big hunks of junk!!!! The controls are also kinda stiff but the machines have decent power and cut ok. You can't expect much when they put an 18hp kohler engine that costs $1,200 or so on a $1,600 machine.....
    I have demoed them both bradley (gear drive) and redhawk (hydro) and was not thrilled with them! If you have enough money for something else, get something else!!! Go to there website and see what they say. All the same parts as Exmark and scag and who ever but only a 1 YEAR WARRANTY???????? I would think twice unless I was in a jam and even then I'd probably just finance a new machine!!!!!!!

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You'd probably be better off with the Quick 36 like someone else said.